New chain length

pedalow3000
pedalow3000 Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have just changed the chain on my mtb and threw away the old chain before measuring. Can anyone tell me from the photo whether the new chain is too long? It it on the smallest chainring and 3rd smallest cog on cassette:

i2rhGnK.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Around the two big cogs without the rear mech and add one full link.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Is there anyway to tell from the photo?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Put it in big, big and take a photo and a reasonable judgement could be made, but in that gear combo, absolutely not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Judging by the photo I would say no, the gap between the chain and sole of the blue trainers is far too big...

Here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    EH, that's because it's on the smallest chainwheel! Nothing to do with chain length what so ever.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.