Servicing Fox Forks

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, So my question is if it is easy for someone who is good with taking things to bits and putting back together to service Fox Forks? Are there any special tools or machines needed?

Thought I would ask before i start looking for a video on youtube on a how to. Its about time mine were serviced. Will pay someone if it looks like its going to be hard or tricky

Thanks
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• Full service of a Rochshox sid was very easy. Only extra I needed was circlip plyers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on what you want to do and which forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Brown sauce
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends on what you want to do and which forks.

I think they are bottom of the range ones. They are CTD ones 100mm travel on a £1800 Giant Anthem. Sorry I can't be more specific I don't want to go out into the garage haha.

Ive had the bike for a couple of years and think they probably need a service. So not knowing anything about whats inside I presumed they needed taking to bits and cleaning, re lubing and some new sills or something along those lines.

Thought I may be able to do it myself. But was trying to find out if maybe its one of those things that you really just need to pay someone that knows or if tis not too hard.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    Fox forks are really easy to service, no special tools needed. Loads of good vids on you tube and even good info on Fox website. Hardest part is knowing how much oil to put where, as it differs with every style/model year, should be a serial number on your fork to find out which they are. Have a mooch at the Fox website.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Thought I may be able to do it myself. But was trying to find out if maybe its one of those things that you really just need to pay someone that knows or if tis not too hard.

Its not too difficult. I was in the same situation last year, same bike but slightly different fork. This thread might help with a couple of links

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12968972
  • Brown sauce
    col748 wrote:
    Fox forks are really easy to service, no special tools needed. Loads of good vids on you tube and even good info on Fox website. Hardest part is knowing how much oil to put where, as it differs with every style/model year, should be a serial number on your fork to find out which they are. Have a mooch at the Fox website.
    JodyP wrote:

Its not too difficult. I was in the same situation last year, same bike but slightly different fork. This thread might help with a couple of links

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12968972

Wicked, thats great info. Thanks for the help I will start looking into it. Cheers
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    All the oil volumes for recent fox forks can be found here:

http://www.ridefox.com

If you pit in your product code (usually a sticker on the lowers near the wiper seals) it should tell you all the information you need.