Advice Please

Smiffy151
Smiffy151 Posts: 17
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All

New to the forum but i'm hoping you learned folk can give me some opinions and or advice please. So my scenario is this;

I have taken up cycling again after a number of years away and have purchased a Voodoo Bizango a few months ago and love going on trails etc , however, getting to the places and trails is not always a case of getting on my bike and riding off as they tend to be quite a few miles away. I am unfit and overweight and thought that cycling would be the answer, however, a hardtail on road surface with off road tyres are not best suited. I want to buy something more suitable so I can just open the gate and go out on the local roads and get some mileage in, i'm not giving up on the trail bike but would like something to suit during weekdays or when I can't be asked to drive to a trail, so I've decided on something more suitable. I went to my local Giant dealer and explained the situation and as an alternative to my original choice offered option 2.

1. Giant Anyroad 1 or 2 and change out the std tyres for some road slicks, cost circa £900-£1050 depending on model or

2. Giant Defy 2 (2014) with upgraded Aksium wheels to compensate for my weight with alternative tyres (Can't remember what they were) £820.00 inc the wheel and tyres upgrade

The anyroad caters for riders up to 300lbs whereas the Giant Defy states 275lbs the LBS guy stated that this would suffice and he had sold the same model bike to heavier people.....!Any advice or opinions would be really helpful

Thanks

Smiffy151

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the bikes you mentioned, so I can't really offer much advice on them. However, changing tyres to something slicker will make a huge difference to the way an "off road" bike rides on the road. A while back I bought a second hand Trek hardtail to ride around some local trails with my children. It came with horrible knobbly tyres that would have looked more in place on a tractor. It wasn't too bad on soft ground, but on the road or even hard packed trail it was just uncomfortable and energy sapping. So I swapped them for some thinner and slicker tyres, pumped them up a bit harder and the transformation was amazing. It became much more comfortable, and quieter, to ride on road, and as my off road was really bridal paths, etc., I didn't lose out there.

It might be worth just getting some slicker tyres for your current bike to see how you get on on the road, before shelling out for a second one?
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    As mentioned, cheapest fix would be to stick some slicks on your current bike so you can ride it on the road, that will help you build your general fitness and lose some weight, buying a new bike may not be the answer
    Consider the gearing on a raod bike is also very different, assuming your MTB has a triple and bigger cassetts so much more in the way of options Vs a standard compact on a road bike, and the road bike you buy could also be different in a few months when you've lost a bit of weight
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would put slicks on your mountain bike until you get your weight down. With slick tyres you will go faster and find it easier on road. Once your weight stabilises you can then decide on the road bike you want.

If you don't mind asking, how much do you currently weight and how tall are you ?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Agree try more suitable tyres first

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tyres/mtb-tyres?ss=2312&sort=pricelow

If you still want some off road ability then Schwalbe landcruiser ae a great option, I use them on my station hack and they roll well on Tarmac as the centre contact point is smooth, and it doubles up for my son if we go on the trails through the woods.

Alternately road only then the road cruisers or silento would be a decent option for a modest outlay.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,679
    Yes to the tyres. You want these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tra ... road-tyre/

I use them on my 29er when pootling about. Great for road. Fine on canal parts and cycle tracks now it's summer and drier. Also they are cheap. You'll need new inner tubes though. So around £42 all in you'll be out and about this weekend if you order now.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Smiffy151
    Thanks all for the useful advice, I think i'll go with the tyres for now, my voodoo has 29x2.25 currently so with PhotoNic69's link ,can you guys advise on what size and what tubes to go with them please. Sorry but I have no idea what is the equivalent would be.

Thanks again
  • Smiffy151
    Kajjal wrote:
    I would put slicks on your mountain bike until you get your weight down. With slick tyres you will go faster and find it easier on road. Once your weight stabilises you can then decide on the road bike you want.

If you don't mind asking, how much do you currently weight and how tall are you ?

Hi Kajjal

Sure, i'm fat :D so i'm 280lbs @ 6'.1" so just over the top with regards to the road bike advisory weights
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Smiffy151 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Hi Kajjal

Sure, i'm fat :D so i'm 280lbs @ 6'.1" so just over the top with regards to the road bike advisory weights

Just wanted to check before I assumed anything and started posting nonsense :)

In that case get some slick tyres and wait until you have lost more weight. You will find once you get fitter and up the distance the weight starts to come off rapidly. You can then reward yourself with a new bike.
  • Smiffy151
    Kajjal wrote:
    Smiffy151 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Hi Kajjal

Just wanted to check before I assumed anything and started posting nonsense :)

In that case get some slick tyres and wait until you have lost more weight. You will find once you get fitter and up the distance the weight starts to come off rapidly. You can then reward yourself with a new bike.

It's the way that most are advising and looks the best bet thanks for your help :D
  • Smiffy151
    Just wanted to say a huge thanks to all that offered there advice and opinions much appreciated thanks all :D
  • photonic69
    These tubes will also fit the above tyres:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cont ... -prod18907

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod26727

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod26726

As they have shrader valves you wont need the grommets for the rims that you'll need if you fit presta valves.

• Smiffy151
    Hi Guys

Just to say i'm going with a set of custom wheels and tyres, I know it's a dearer option than just tyres but I can swap and change as I like and it's a matter of a few minutes to change wheels to what I am going to do.

So I've been in contact with a guy called Dave Kaye @ cycle fast custom wheels and he can build me a set of wheels with Mavic XM719 or Stans Arch Rims, Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs, DT Swiss Double Butted Spokes, Shimano Cassette and rotors, and it will include Continental Travel Contact City Tyres and tubes and delivery for around £400.

Thanks again all for all your help
  • photonic69
    oooosh! £400! I often swap my tyres around mtb Smart Sams/Conti Travel Contacts. It only takes me 10 mins now for two tyres. If it makes you get out on the bike more often then it definitely is worth it. Good luck ang get riding. This summer is going to be perfect!