Dura Ace rear mech max cassette

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Will the latest Dura Ace mech work with a 30 sprocket? Ive read 28 max but wonder if that is hard and fast?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If the geometry/dimensions are the same as other short cage mechs in the Shimano range then, yes, it will cope with a 30 tooth cassette.

I'm coming from bike builds using 105 and Ultegra short cage rear mechs with a compact (50/34) chainset and a Tiagra 12-30 cassette. All worked fine - occasionally a tweak of the B-screw was needed to fine tune things but otherwise no problem
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Mechanical DA9000 is OK with a 30-tooth (but YMMV depending on your mech hanger). Di2 is less tolerant. You may also struggle with chain-wrap if you're running a 34 tooth inner ring, so 34/12 may not be a usable ratio.
  • With mechanical Dura Ace 9000 I have managed to use a 11-32 SRAM cassette quite happily. Had to wind the B screw in fully but it worked well enough. I think it might depend on your derailleur hanger but I would say it should work.

I briefly used this set up for a Dartmoor trip but didn't really use the 32 cog. Realistically a 28 cog should get you up most hills.