Bike design guide

charg
charg Posts: 13
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows of any books or sites that help with the technical design of bike frames?
Ideally going into more detail than just geometry, preferably details like dropouts,fixing points & bottom backet housing ect.

I'm presuming that most people keep the info under lock and key as they work in the industry.

I'm not looking at producing anything in the near future, however I want to design some in solid works to get the skills nailed then who knows..

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You just need to follow the relevant standards, it's all public information, parktool would be a good place to start.

There are also various places you can go on frame building courses which will cover a lot of that stuff, also many allow you then to return and build a frame, my friend did such a course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • charg
    Cheers Rookie

Ill check that info out.

Do you know of anywhere that specifies bb housing / headtube dimensions, hole sizes for bearings / headsets ect.

Apologies If this info is in the Park tools site i havent had a chance to flick through yet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are a few main headtube standards, yes, all specified on parktools, for an MTB you want either 44mm or 44/56mm, both take a tapered steerer fork but the latter looks neater.

Usually when building a frame you use a pre-made BB shell, English thread and 68 or 73mm to your preference.

Pre-made dropouts are available for normal vertical (geared) or horizontal (single speed), not sure if you can get them yet for the screw threw or not, width (135/142/150) is created by the frame, but all the standards are 'open' as in most cases they want other companies to produce compatible parts to increase acceptability.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Here you go to get you started. https://www.sram.com/sites/default/file ... ions_0.pdf Google 'SRAM Frame Fit Specifications' to find more versions.

Shimano do similar docs but while I have a copy, I am not sure I can share it with you, but SRAM publish theirs publically so thats all good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • charg
    Cheers Rookie / Ben

you've given me a lot to think about / read.
    looking forward to finding some time and getting this stuff down in 3D

Thanks again
    Chris
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Just in case you didn't know, Ben makes bikes. Bird Bikes, in fact. One of his bikes just made the top 10 in What Mountain Bike's 'Best Of 2015', so any advice coming from him is probably worth listening to.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • charg
    Just in case you didn't know, Ben makes bikes. Bird Bikes, in fact. One of his bikes just made the top 10 in What Mountain Bike's 'Best Of 2015', so any advice coming from him is probably worth listening to.

Hey Angus

I didn't at first but noticed the bit about Bird bikes in his signiture, that led to an afternoon oogling over the new Aeris all afternoon. http://shop.birdmtb.com/aeris.html its a beast

I really appreciated all the help, i haven't got al the knowledge nailed down but hopefully as a designer ill be able to pick it up and put it in to practise

Cheers

chris