Di2 cassette compatability ?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi.

Has anyone with di2 managed to swap their 11-28 cassette for one with 30 teeth? I've read this is as big as you can go without buying another rear derailleur with the longer cage.
If so what cassette have you used? I can't find any 11 speed 30T out there unless you get a custom made one imported from the USA. Can you use a 10 speed cassette on 11 speed di2 without the difference in spacing sending the robotics crazy?

Thanks.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Would a Miche 11 speed cassette work with Ultegra Di2 ?

http://www.acycles.co.uk/miche-shimano- ... tAodoBAAqg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    i dont see why not.

You could also fit a 33t chainring up front or 38t if your on a standard crank. They are only currently available for 5 arm cranks though afaik.

Stronglight and Specialites TA make them.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    I wouldn't advise it. A Shimano rear Di2 derailleur is 28T for the short cage and 32T for the medium cage.

A lot of people on here will tell you it's possible and simply 'screw the B screw in all the way' but this is only for clearance between the top of the cage on the derailleur and the underneath of the biggest cog. What it never allows for is chain slack and the fact the cage on the rear derailleur gets pulled too far forward due to over-stretching. I've tried it, and it worked for about two weeks before the strain on the chain ripped the rear derailleur off the hanger, straight into the wheel and caused over £500 of damage to carbon wheels and the derailleur, which was a write-off.

In the long run you would be better off just buying the medium cage rear derailleur or failing that, the mechanical version medium in 105 or Ultegra much, much cheaper and just taking the cage off and putting it on your current Di2 derailleur. Ive done this, and it works fine.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    The Ultegra Di2 GS derailleur is not expensive; I use one with an 11-32 cassette on my otherwise DA 9000 Di2 bike when in the Alps. Safer than risking over-stressing the short-cage derailleur.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    964Cup wrote:
    The Ultegra Di2 GS derailleur is not expensive; I use one with an 11-32 cassette on my otherwise DA 9000 Di2 bike when in the Alps. Safer than risking over-stressing the short-cage derailleur.

Everything is reletive. It's quite a lot more than a medium cage 105 rear mech.

You can also buy the outer and inner plates of the 6800 medium cage separately at SJS Cycles, although the inner plates are currently not in stock.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-ulte ... prod34234/

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-ulte ... prod34242/
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    DKay wrote:
    Everything is reletive. It's quite a lot more than a medium cage 105 rear mech.
    Well, sure, but if you've bought Di2 in the first place I suppose I'm assuming you're in that marketplace. They have gone up a bit, though - the last one I bought was £115 IIRC (including a sale offer from Ribble) - the cheapest now is £140 from Merlin.