Going Tubeless.

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I always just use the 1" Gorilla tape roll. It's a PITA to remove though, tempted to go back to Stan's tape next time I redo mine.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stans tape come in25mm width which is wide ebough for most rims.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    did a couple of rims last night - an old mavic 517 (17mm) which needed a bit of tape trimmed off and a crapy OE carrera rim (19mm). inflated with track pump no issue and still holding air this morning.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Morning guys,

Well, started to convert my Giant rims + non tubeless tyres into tubeless and...

Gorilla tape did work very well, no probs cutting it into size needed.

However, as the tyres are not tubeless ready, there is no chance I can inflate them using track pump.

(haven't tried compressor but I think there is no point doing this if I cannot inflate it using 'normal' pump)

It looks like I have to go 'ghetto - old inner tube version cut in half', as the gap between tyre bead and rim is too big !!!

Am I doing something wrong ?

If opted for 'ghetto version', should I use i.e. 20" inner tubes for better fit ??

Cheers,

Chris
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    kinioo wrote:
    (haven't tried compressor but I think there is no point doing this if I cannot inflate it using 'normal' pump)

I couldn't inflate mine with either a pump or bottle inflator. Works compressor sorted it in about 20 seconds
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Have you taken the core out of the valve?
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:

• Antm81
    kinioo wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:

Might not help but everytime I've struggled to get it to seat fully, taking the valve core out has helped
  • kinioo
    JodyP wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

I couldn't inflate mine with either a pump or bottle inflator. Works compressor sorted it in about 20 seconds

OK, so what happens on the road if I need to inflate them...?
  • Antm81
    Re inflating is a lot easier than seating them, plus the sealant will usually 'stick' them to the rims slightly.
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:
    Re inflating is a lot easier than seating them, plus the sealant will usually 'stick' them to the rims slightly.

OK, will give it a go with core removed and if it doesn't work will try with compressor...finger crossed.

Cheers,

Chris
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    kinioo wrote:
    JodyP wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

OK, so what happens on the road if I need to inflate them...?

Would you need to? Mine have sealed loads of punctures. So it shouldn't go down unless you get a rip in your tyre in which case you might need to put your emergency inner tube back in to get you home.

I had to remove the valve core and use an air nozzle pushed into the valve stem. Pressed the tyre towards the rim a couple of times while blasting air in before it got a seal.
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:

It did work with core out and track pump - result !!

Both wheels converted - thanks

C.
  • Antm81
    kinioo wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:

C.

No problem, spent enough time myself trying to inflate them with a track pump before I discovered removing the valve core.
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:
    kinioo wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:

C.

No problem, spent enough time myself trying to inflate them with a track pump before I discovered removing the valve core.

Yep, it was a doddle ...Now its time to rock'n'roll !!!

C