650B 120mm enough ?

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Is 120mm on a 650B enough for places like Swinley and Afan ? Or even the Alps ? I am looking at getting a new full susser and the best (cheap) options all seem to be 120mm but I am unsure if thats going to cut it

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er, yes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I regularly ride Swinley (and Surrey Hills) on 60mm Judys as well as rigids, and Afan with 100mm.

As for the Alps - I suppose it depends.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • echowitch
    Well I'm thinking up-scalability. Can I do the Alps (if I ever get the ok to do it) or do I need to go bigger. Although I have someone saying to me that 650B is crap, that 29er is the only way to go (I have a 29er hardtail already.)

But then this is the same person that says 95% of all mountain bikers wear all lycra now. (We may need to check his meds)
  • echowitch
    Cool cheers :D

He can keep his lycra. Im not wearing it unless its winter and fleece lined :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Amount of suspension is much less important than geometry.
    My bike has 125mm rear suspension and there's very little I wont ride on it including anything at UK trail centres and plenty tougher. It will be pointed down some black trails in the Alps this summer.
    There are plenty of hard riding, short travel bikes with long, slack and low geometry and they are (in my opinion) much more fun to ride than big 160mm enduro bikes.
    There are also XC oriented bikes with the same amount of suspension which are better at covering big miles but not as good when things get nasty.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Amount of suspension is much less important than geometry.
    My bike has 125mm rear suspension and there's very little I wont ride on it including anything at UK trail centres and plenty tougher. It will be pointed down some black trails in the Alps this summer.
    There are plenty of hard riding, short travel bikes with long, slack and low geometry and they are (in my opinion) much more fun to ride than big 160mm enduro bikes.
    There are also XC oriented bikes with the same amount of suspension which are better at covering big miles but not as good when things get nasty.

Bit of that and yes 120mm for the UK and trail riding in the Alps is fine. Big alpine DH tracks - you can handle for sure but might get a little out of depth depending how you ride. It's not about the bike remember.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    cooldad wrote:
    I regularly ride Swinley (and Surrey Hills) on 60mm Judys as well as rigids.

I'd have thought places like Swinley/ Surrey hills you're going to be way better on a short travel hardtail aren't you? FS would seem like a waste of weight and effort there.

As to Afan, 120 would be perfect I'd have thought, I ride it on a 130mm hardtail and only occaisionally feel out of sorts. As RM says geo is prob more relevant for keeping you out of trouble. with my bikes slack head angle if i just hold on through sketchy bits the bike normally just sees its way through.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    FS good for Surrey Hills, less so for Swinley. MoD around Swinley going down to QECP is good for FS.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Amount of suspension and geometry is much less important than skill.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • echowitch
    I ride Swinley, Sulham Woods, have done Afan, and various other off road routes on my hardtail 29er. That only has 100mm up front. But I wanted to get a full susser for going that bit harder ;)

My Cube Analog 29er (upgraded)
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12909607&p=18232871
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Something like a Nukeproof Mega TR is ideal. Short ttavel but long, low and slack. I have done everything from long dostance xc epics to enduro racing on mine, its a proper hooligan when pushed hard. Shop around and you can find some great deals on one.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    FS good for Surrey Hills, less so for Swinley. MoD around Swinley going down to QECP is good for FS.

MoD around Swinley going down to QECP? There is a f**k of a long way between Swinley and QECP, I'd have thought a road bike might be better to get between the two!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.