Prendas Santini kit especially shorts

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Thinking of investing in a bit of retro courtesy of Prendas, how do people rate the Max2 pad in the Bib shorts?

Is it decent?

Or should i just stick to the shirts only and get some Castelli bibs with Progetto X2 pad?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I recently bought the Belkin Shorts that were being sold cheaply on ebay and those had the Max2 pad in them. I have to say that I was quite impressed with their comfort, probably the best of the cheap pads that I have used. Mind you I have to be honest and say that I didn't get on with the Castelli pad so I don't know if my experience is any use to you.
  • t4tomo
    Well its of some use, at least you havent said they are crap. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Given that the Castelli are about three times the price of the Max2, it's hardly a fair comparison - you would expect the Castelli pad to be better. That said, the Max2 are pretty good for the price - I use them for commuting & training rides.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • t4tomo
    derosa wrote:
    Given that the Castelli are about three times the price of the Max2, it's hardly a fair comparison - you would expect the Castelli pad to be better. That said, the Max2 are pretty good for the price - I use them for commuting & training rides.

its about double but then you have to factor in paying for castelli branding. what I dont want to do is spend £60 on bibs and only it find out its £60 wasted as the pad is crap and in the process spent similar on a shirt to match the bibs, when I couldhave used that for a paid of castelli free aeros or similar.
    2014-07-16-la-vie-claire-wonder-radar-retro-bib-shorts-max2-insert-combo_1.jpg
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have some of the Santini Edge shorts and they are pretty good, IMO. Yes, the pad in my Castelli FAR & Body Paints is slightly better but those shorts cost a chunk more (and don't look so good with retro kit). They are slightly longer in the leg than Castelli which may or may not be good for some folks.

I have done some long rides in the Santini (well, 200k+ if that counts as long) and they were fine. The shorts have lasted well too (particularly given that after riding I just chuck them in the machine at 40 degrees with no real pampering).

The two design flaws are that they have a high front so that natural breaks mean the jersey has to come off (which is a PITA for long rides) and the pad is white...or was :wink:
  • Dear All

Thanks for all the comments. Always happy to seen people commenting on our products.

To answer t4tomo's original question. The MAX2 is a big improvement on the Coolmax Techno insert that was previously Santini's base level seat pad.

Santini buy in the MAX2 seat pads from an excellent factory in Italy who started making seat pads before some of the better known factories. They also happen to make our own-brand gloves/overshoes. They also happen to make the gloves worn by the winner at Paris-Roubaix this year!

The difference between the MAX2 and the TwistGel seat pads (as used in the EDGE bibshorts mentioned by derosa) is not as big as it was in terms of comfort and I happily use bib shorts with MAX2 seat pads for rides up to 2 hours - I used a pair only this morning on the ride to work!

Having said that, for rides over 2h, I'll always pick a TwistGel pad for that added comfort.

Any further questions, pls feel free to contact us and we'll be happy to help.
    www.prendas.co.uk/contacts

Kind Regards

Andy
  • t4tomo
    Well I went for the Prendas Edge shorts, with the NAT insert, as used by orica green edge pro team.

Have to say they are mega comfy, the gel in the pad certainly does its stuff, and the fit for me (I realise this is individual) is excellent. Certainly worth a try and much more reasonably priced than Assos Rapha Castellli etc.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98