Park tool degreaser

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Need to give the chain a quick once over and found that the only place nearby that does anything suitable is Halfords 'BikeHut citrus degreaser'. Want something to use with my park tool chain cleaner.

Has anyone used this before or recommend similar for same price or better?

Thanks

Just seen that screwfix do a no-nonsense 5l degreaser for 8 quid. Might not smell great but surely good value for money?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Save yourself some dosh and just use white spirit - about £7 for 4 litres from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-white ... 048_BQ.prd

Have used it for several years in my Park Tool cleaner with no probs. I also store the residue from any cleaning in a largish plastic bottle. Over time the gunge settles out and you can re-use the clear upper layer for other degreasing jobs
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use both, on the rare occasion I actually need to get out my parktools chain cleaner :-)

Give the chain a run or two with the chain cleaner using white spirit, but if you don't get all the white spirit out the chain will immediately go black again. Hence I give it a final wash using the chain clearer and citrus degreaser and finally rinse the chain with water to get it nice and clean.

Dry down with rag and leave to dry before lubing.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    PT CB-2 Chain Brite will do a lot more than just clean a chain. It rules my tool box.

OP - I'm sure the Bike Hut stuff will be fine though.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    +1 on the chemical hut bulk buy. It's good stuff. The halfords degreaser is similar and also pretty decent.

Personally i don't like white spirit, as it gets all the lubricant out from within the chain and it's hard to get back in. The one time I used it the chain didn't work well afterwards.
  • zntrx
    zntrx Posts: 27
    Navrig2 wrote:

Bulk buy without the picture of the bike on the bottle :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/degreaser-driveways-convertible-accessories-TheChemicalHut/dp/B004V3QIJY/

I use this and it works perfectly.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Virosol does, indeed, rule.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    thanks for the suggestions! In the mean time I have bought a bottle of engine degreaser from our local What! store for 99p :-z Used some muc-off degreaser first then 5 mins later used the engine degreaser in the park tool cleaner followed by wash off with water and some wd-40.

Seems to have done the trick and with a bit of lube all is running lovely again.

Will buy some other stuff asap.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Miser at £20 ish for 5 litres. Works perfectly, costs nothing, lasts forever.

Use paintbrush, paint on to whatever you want decreased, hose off.

Jobs a fish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.