Singlespeed to Munich

winnersh cyclist
winnersh cyclist Posts: 23
edited April 2015 in Tour & expedition
I am planning to ride to Munich and would like to know if anyone has any experience of the climbs on a single speed my route should be Dieppe- Antwerp- Düsseldorf-down the Rhine -Augsburg -Landsberg am lech- Munich and then back

I am hoping to keep it simple and riding my Cooper Spa T100 but just don't know if at all possible and if there is very steep climbs enroute .
My gearing is 42/16 I am more concerned that the climbs are long and steady like in France that I think I can do rather than steep which I think would be impossible

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    interesting idea, why not cross from Harwich and start of Hook of Holland??

you need to have a look at how to get from Karlesruhe over to Stuttgart, my recollection from driving it is that the Black Forest will not be easy on a single speed. Wurzburg to Nurnburg and the romatische strasse might be better. Again my recollection from driving is that n-s routings are flat, but west to east is valley to valley, including terraced vineyards, so potentially steep.

Can you flip flop down to something lower to cross out of the Rhine valley, suspect 70" too high and more like 60" is needed.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Map out the route on RideWithGPS or Strava, and take a good look at the profile it spits out. Definitely an interesting take on touring, and nothing wrong with that!