Confession Time

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
I have a problem (no not that one)
Tyres, I seem to have a compulsion to buy tyres. I try to justify my purchases but I now realise I have a problem. I think it started with studded snow tyres for the MTB - that was easy, no one wants to fall off when the temperatures plummet, but recently I've bought another set for my CX bike, a set of tan sidewall tyres for my steel bike and now another three sets of tyres for the CX. Started with a set of Vittoria Randonneur pro 2 in a 32, then saw the 35s on a planet x special. These had been on a week when planet x did the dirty again and put the vittoria hyper 38c on a special ( at £7.99 each) so I now have a pair of these on the CX. So I want to blame Vittoria and Planet X?
Anyone else have this kind of problem? Come on, fess up!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Mmm. I certainly could be going that way - I too bought a set of winter tyres and some CX tyres for my new bike around christmas (yes, I did manage to use the winters a couple of times, the CX tyres are still in their boxes), and have since bought a pair of vittoria pro-tech 28mms, which I actually needed, but I put them on and liked so much I ordered another pair....

Oh, and naturally I do have a set of the vittoria hyper 38s.

Oh, and the schwalbe durano 25's that I bought in the autumn (but then put in the cupboard ready for next summer.)

Oh, and there were those rubino pro slicks i bought a year or so back before I decided that 700x23 was a bit narrow for me, so they've mainly sat on the shelf.

So yeah, in short I need help.

It's tricky though isn't it, because I feel so sure that I'll use them all eventually (and it's nice to have spares in case you come home with a gouge one day....)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I have a small stack of tyres, admittedly...
    But it's for the good as the ones you want are always out of stock, so it's good to keep a healthy stock yourself...
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup I know the feeling, I also blame PlanetX and on-one sales for my pile of MTB tyres, except of course the one I need right now which means buying another one!

As for my commuter, I think that is currently covered for the next 6-7000 miles, at about 1000 miles a year that is quite some time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have a rubber fetish.

Not counting tyres on wheels I've got the following pairs hanging in the garage:

Challenge Grifo XS
    Michelin Mud 2
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    2x Conti 4Seasons
    Schwalbe Durano
    Schwalbe Kojak
    Vittoria Open Corsa
    Veloflex Open Corsa
    Vittoria Open Pave
    Schwalbe Marathon Winter

Then I've got the spares for the Brompton and I find myself looking for tan sidewall tyres fore the SS all the time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    I don't feel quite so bad now.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have no spare tyres and use the same type of tyre all year round.

I think I might be abnormal.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I used to be quite stingy with tyres. Now I seem to have a load. Mostly PX's fault.

Have to say, the Hyper Voyager may be one of the best out there. Much suppler than the Randonneur IMO (they are bigger after all) and roll very fast indeed. In fact did one of my fastest commutes today on them.

Ow, Ugo, try them tubeless for us luv, they might be a good big tyre option :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't feel quite so bad now.

Me neither, I think I bought 2 pairs in the space of two weeks but the gatorhardskins have been on there since september last year.
  • veronese68
    I used to be quite stingy with tyres. Now I seem to have a load. Mostly PX's fault.

Have to say, the Hyper Voyager may be one of the best out there. Much suppler than the Randonneur IMO (they are bigger after all) and roll very fast indeed. In fact did one of my fastest commutes today on them.

Damn you. :twisted:
    I also blame Planet X, and now Bender as well.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've discovered that hiding them in the attic alleviates any guilt I had. I now open the bike shed to find it blissfully free of rubber.

I have to confess to becoming slightly obsessed with wheels as well and have also taken to hiding them in the attic and at work.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The millisecond I get a puncture I'm thinking about new, better tyres. Have posted in the tubeless thread asking advice one hour from the pf visit this morning...just because.
  • bendertherobot
    Veronese68 wrote:

Damn you. :twisted:
    I also blame Planet X, and now Bender as well.

You can blame WIggle as well, if you want. They have them at over £30! But will price match PX!
  • Ah thanks guys, I'm beginning to feel (almost) normal now. Seems that Planet X are the new Wiggle?
  • I used to be quite stingy with tyres. Now I seem to have a load. Mostly PX's fault.

Agree - I had my first commute on mine this morning - lovely tyre. i was surprised that they have a minimum pressure of 60psi though as it's a 38 and was running the randonneur 35 (which doesn't state a lower limit) at around 50 psi. I may try dropping the pressures.

hypertyre.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    I think I have mine at about 80! I like it firm but they really are very cushy indeed. Very comfort inducing.
  • veronese68
    I'm still resisting in spite of your best efforts. :-) Although there is plenty of time and it's getting quieter here.
    For more off road comfort the Surly Knards are good. Not much room for mud clearance but huge and pillow like.

eta: Just had a quick look on Planet X, only £9.99 each. Well, at that price it would be rude not to. :oops:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm still resisting in spite of your best efforts. :-) Although there is plenty of time and it's getting quieter here.
    For more off road comfort the Surly Knards are good. Not much room for mud clearance but huge and pillow like.

eta: Just had a quick look on Planet X, only £9.99 each. Well, at that price it would be rude not to. :oops:

Damn you V68! Damn you Planet X!
  • veronese68
    Sorry, that's the Voyager Hyper at Planet X for £9.99. The Surlys were rather more from an LBS. Used them on L2B off road and they worked a treat over most of it. You'd want the folding 120tpi version which is normally £30ish.
  • timothyw
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sorry, that's the Voyager Hyper at Planet X for £9.99. The Surlys were rather more from an LBS. Used them on L2B off road and they worked a treat over most of it.
    Do the surlys fit the Crosslight pro6 then? I had a feeling it only went up to 700x40.
  • I think I have mine at about 80! I like it firm but they really are very cushy indeed. Very comfort inducing.

I've pumped mine up to 70+ ish so will see how it rides on the way home.
  • veronese68
    TimothyW wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sorry, that's the Voyager Hyper at Planet X for £9.99. The Surlys were rather more from an LBS. Used them on L2B off road and they worked a treat over most of it.
    Do the surlys fit the Crosslight pro6 then? I had a feeling it only went up to 700x40.
    Tight at the back, but they fit. Very little room for mud clearance if it's heavy going.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Another Planet X complainant here. I seem to buy them in batches of 5 or 6 as I can't resist..
    Enough to see me a few years I reckon
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would list all the tyres I have, but, erm I can't remember them all!

I do know I have
    2x Rocket Ron
    2x Michelin DM2
    2x Panaracer speed blaster
    1x Spesh purgatory
    1x Maxxis 'dry weather race tyre'
    1x Geax mud tyre
    1x Panaracer Mud x
    1x Onza dave
    1x Conti Sport contact
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bendertherobot
    58 min on the Hyper Voyagers today. Fastest commute of the year. Never feels slow.
  • timothyw
    58 min on the Hyper Voyagers today. Fastest commute of the year. Never feels slow.
    You've almost got me persuaded to put them on my bike, but somehow I feel that would miss the point of hoarding all these tyres. :lol:
  • veronese68
    TimothyW wrote:
    You've almost got me persuaded to put them on my bike, but somehow I feel that would miss the point of hoarding all these tyres. :lol:
    Mine are sitting in a shopping basket on a certain website. Might have to complete the purchase today.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have a feeling that i shall be adding to my basket today.

I feel lame.

I only have a the tyres on the 3 wheels (2 x pairs rubino pro and a pair of hutchison equinox) that I have on the bikes. The spare set of disc wheels (gatorskins) and a pair of gatorskins and a pair of ultra sports knocking about.

Actually that is 6 sets of tyres for 3 bikes and 4 sets of wheels....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    hmmmm....

4 bikes all currently shod;-

CX 2 x Gatorskin hardshell
    Road 2 x Rubino Pro
    Hybrid 2 x Spesh Crossroads Armadillo
    MTB 2 x Maxxis Advantage

In attic: tyres then wheels

- 2 x Conti Top contact Winter II
    - 2 x Vittoria Raddoneur Pro
    - 2 x Rubino Pro
    - 2 x Conti travel contact
    - 1 x Maxxis Larsen
    - 1 x Gatorskin hardshell
    - 1 x Spesh all condition armadillo

- 2 x Bontrager wheel + tyre
    - 2 x handbuilt Royce hub + H&H rim
    - 1 x Shimano 501 front wheel (worn out rim)
    - 1 x cheap (no brand) front wheel (winter use)
    - 1 x rear wheel screw on cassette; probably never use again
    - 1 x Shimano RS20 front
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    I have never bought a set of tyres (or wheels).....

There. I said it.,... Never.

I bought my Felt Z6 from wiggle, with whatever tyres came on it. I've done around 3,000 miles on it. And they still seem to go round and round just like they did when i got 'em.

Am i missing something? :oops:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    corriebee1 wrote:
    I have never bought a set of tyres (or wheels).....

There. I said it.,... Never.

I bought my Felt Z6 from wiggle, with whatever tyres came on it. I've done around 3,000 miles on it. And they still seem to go round and round just like they did when i got 'em.

Am i missing something? :oops:
    No. Funnily enough I also bought a Z6 from wiggle. I did try Conti GP4000s, but they were rubbish puncture resistant-wise and also had a big side-wall split, so went back to the old zaffiro's and no punctures since.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk