Something different - Olympia 849

Silly Old Hector
Silly Old Hector Posts: 573
edited May 2015 in Your road bikes
Here's my latest "investment" - arrived and now ridden.

First saw these bikes in Northern Ride in Malton, North Yorkshire last October and found that my LBS had one in for a customer (<6.5kg with D/A & Tune wheels). Not sure there are many in the UK.

Olympia%20849.jpg

First impressions are "simply lovely". I'm chuffed at the overall package. Plan is for no saddle bag and dry riding only.

Things to do :
- Stem still to be cut, once I am comfortable every thing fits. It's a medium, which means a shorter stem than my other small frames, and it could be slammed (one spacer to go).
- Another matching bottle cage

Frame & Forks: Olympia Carbon (Medium)
Bars: FSA Omega
Stem: FSA SL-K
Bar Tape: Olympia

Groupset : Ultegra 6800 (Compact)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano PF30
Cables : Jagwire

Seat: Sella Italia SL
Seat Post: Carbonio FBK

Pedals: Look Keo Classics (Olympia OEM)
Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium SLS
Tyres: Mavic Yksion Pro 23c

Accessories: Elite Custom Race bottle cage

Weight: 7.5kg
All the gear, but no idea...

Comments

• Are they a British brand? I've never heard of them before. Looks good though!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Maybe Italian I think and possibly the oldest family owned manufacturer there is.
  • North Eastern Italy - company is 120 years old.

Frames/forks made there, I believe.

They took over Scapin (Poshbikes are distributors for both).
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    First time I've seen one of these, but v v nice :D
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Paidi O'Brien races on one in Ireland and has been winning everything!
    No excuses now ;) Lovely piece of kit.
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Thanks for the background info guys. I've heard of Scapin before, but hadn't seen them around in a while. Now I know where they went.
  • Really like that bike.. congrats !!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lovely. Just one pedantic point; don't cut the stem whatever you do! It's the steerer that needs trimming :D
  • keef66 wrote:
    Lovely. Just one pedantic point; don't cut the stem whatever you do! It's the steerer that needs trimming :D

Doh !

Not been ridden much, as I've not been feeling great (tired all the time), but looking forward to getting out again.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

Doh !

Not been ridden much, as I've not been feeling great (tired all the time), but looking forward to getting out again.

Get yourself down to the vets. At the very least they should organise some blood tests. My wife's recent aches, pains and chronic fatigue turns out to be a serious vitamin D deficiency which is apparently common after winter in these latitudes. She's now on vit D supplements and I've never eaten so much salmon!