32 or 34 Forks?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
On my MTB I've currently got some Fox 32 Float CTD Performance forks, with 130mm of travel.

I've just read about the new 2016 Fox 34 DPS .

It got me thinking... Does the stanchion size make much difference? Would I really notice much between a 32 and a 34? If the forks remain 130mm of travel would it be a straight swap? Is the biggest difference in the quality of the components?

I take it, that changing the length of travel would change the bike geometry?

Thanks.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you feel that flex is a problem with your fork? If not then why change it?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont think you would notice stiffer forks unless you are really giving it some. My main demands in a fork are composed dealing with bumps and terrain, which is down to the adjustability and damper settings. The difference between a Revelation and a Pike for me is not that great, I ride pretty hard on some technical terrain and noticed some minor differences - I only changed to the Pikes for the extra travel and to move on from a cheap second hand set of forks with a mildly damaged stantion. Had the Rev's been in primo shape I'd probably have kept them (they were a holding upgrade from 2013 Fox 34's which were horrific).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    a holding upgrade

haha..nice. I new there was a good term for those parts on my bike :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    All I know is find fox 32's extremely distracting on 140-150mm versions then just flex too much it drives me potty...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I found my 150mm Revelations pretty flexy. You do have to be riding hard on rocky trails to notice the flex though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I found my 150mm Revelations pretty flexy. You do have to be riding hard on rocky trails to notice the flex though.

I only rode mine whilst recovering from a broken thumb so I may have been all excited about being back on a bike more than paying a lot of attention to the forks! I guess I also didn't end up riding the hardest trails before I got the Pikes. Maybe I am being kind to the Rev's (but I am 70kg and relatively light on the bike).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.