Campagnolo zonda with 25mm tires

TheSloog
TheSloog Posts: 50
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
With all the talk of pros moving up to 25mm tyres on wide-rim wheels, does anyone know whether it's worthwhile using them on a traditional-width campag zonda wheelset?
Would any benefit in rolling resistance (if there is any) be negated by drag and the extra weight of a 25mm tyre?

And, Are there any wider rim wheelsets that can compete with zonda on price and quality available in the Uk?
If anyone knows anything, feel free..

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I run 25s on Zondas and it does make for a decent match if tyre pressure is lowered appropriately (I'm currently running 75/80). I find the Zondas to be very good quality and come with a serviceable cup/cone bearing but they are far from my favourite wheelset as I find them to be very harsh (many would say their stiffness is a great feature but at 65kg this is not my greatest concern). Nice climbing wheels though, just a tad fatiguing on a 100 miler.
  • TheSloog
    TheSloog Posts: 50
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I run 25s on Zondas and it does make for a decent match if tyre pressure is lowered appropriately (I'm currently running 75/80). I find the Zondas to be very good quality and come with a serviceable cup/cone bearing but they are far from my favourite wheelset as I find them to be very harsh (many would say their stiffness is a great feature but at 65kg this is not my greatest concern). Nice climbing wheels though, just a tad fatiguing on a 100 miler.

Oh to have that problem - I'm about 20kg heavier so hopefully that wouldn't be such an issue... Incidentally, which are your preferred wheelsets?
    And would you use zonda with 25mms in races at all?

Thanks
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I also run 25mm tyres (Lithion 2) on Zonda wheels and they work well as far as comfort goes, and I weigh around 90kg. I don't find them particularly harsh either, but I only have Ksyrium Elites and a set of handbuilt 32h Archetype rims on Ultegra 6800 hubs to compare them with. I haven't ridden long distance though, furthest so far is about 40 miles.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    No reason not to race with these, they are decent quality and cheap enough to replace if some chopper takes you out. Good tyres like the Schwalbe Ones work well.

Personally, I prefer RS81s or DA C24s but the price is then creeping up and many would argue for alternatives...
  • gusm41
    gusm41 Posts: 92
    I have the Zondas with Michelin pro endurance 4 25mm much better comfort without any loss of speed.