Joined the Hoi Poloi

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Well, after years of exclusive roadieness, I took a trip to Glentress today, was in the camper and got chatting to a coupla guys at Thornielee so went for a looksee at Alpine bikes demo day.

Came away with a Trek Fuel EX7 27.5, and an Excaliber 7 for the missus.

Hope I don`t actually have to do any of this mucky shit do I ? Will I have to grow my leg hair ? :roll:
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• As an aside

The most common mod I spotted today were dropper seat posts. How much of a difference is one likely to make to a trail riding roadie crossover like me?. Never needed one on my cyclocross ! :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is no mucky shoot just fun and then find yourself plastered in mud.

Yes, leg shaving or waxing is banned unless you shave with a blunt bayonet when dispensation will be given in writing.

Welcome to the light, banish forever the dark side of cycling from your life my son!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    It's 'Hoi Polloi'. Mountain bikers can spell! :lol:
  • Buggers,, out thought by muddy oik !
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, leg shaving or waxing is banned unless you shave with a blunt bayonet when dispensation will be given in writing

So any bayonet then?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Yes, get a dropper post. Best thing since sliced bread.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mountain biking is just like road cycling if you replace the misery of hours of boring tarmac with mile after mile of fun! You're going to have to learn some bike control and grow some leg hair to hide the scars (chicks dig scars)
    My road bike only ever comes out for commuting. EVERY ride for fun I grab the mountain bike.
    Be prepared to fall off lots while you learn to ride! Invest in some coaching, some of the worst riding I have seen has been converted roadies.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Invest in some coaching, some of the worst riding I have seen has been converted roadies.

If you only ever listen to one piece advice, that's the bit to listen to. Just done a skills day and it is easily the best bike related purchase I've made.
  • The Rookie
    grow some leg hair to hide the scars (chicks dig scars)
    Contradictory?

Yes any bona fide bayonet is acceptable.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Antm81 wrote:

So any bayonet then?

Épée-Baïonnette Modèle 1886

For those hard to reach hairs.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    went for a looksee

Came away with a Trek Fuel EX7 27.5, and an Excaliber 7 for the missus.

Brilliant. Not only did a quick look at a demo day result in 2k worth of new bikes, yours is 3 times the value of the Mrs.

That is some seriously good work!

Chapeau
  • Wasn`t it just 8)

Been thinking about it for a while, if I`m honest, and the choice of Trek was easy as I run a Domane and love everything about it.

The Excaliber is to encourage my missus into getting out more, plus my 12yr old grandson will be able to use it with me.

Picking them up tomorrow I hope.

Are baggy shorts and a camelback compulsory ? I have both in a dark drawer somewhere :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not compulsory just never wear team sky lycra unless you want to be mercilessly abused.
  • I wouldn`t be seen dead in ANY team kit issued after 1995. :D

Plain black is faster don`tcha know.

Been having a look at skills courses, look like fun actually.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    can't beat a bit of mixing the dirt & road
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    I've been drawn to the dark side too :lol:
    Spent a day at Cannock Chase with my son, him on his Rockrider, me on my "get to work bike", a Boardman MX Race, hopelessly inadequate for the trails as I knew it would be and I did have a nasty fall at one point but I was having so much fun I didn't care. :D
    I sold the bike the next day and bought a Voodoo Hoodoo, can't wait to get back there again.
    I'm like a 5 yr old wanting to go out to play, except I'm actually 53 :oops:
    I'm looking into getting some proper coaching though, don't want too many falls like the last one :lol:
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • The Rookie
    Keith47 wrote:
    I'm like a 5 yr old wanting to go out to play, except I'm actually 53 :oops:
    Not yet middle aged then!
    Keith47 wrote:
    I'm looking into getting some proper coaching though, don't want too many falls like the last one :lol:
    No, it just means you will be going faster when you do fall!
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Cheers Rookie,I couldn't go much slower than I did last weekend that's for sure, feeling the back wheel sliding around all over the place felt very alien to me, it's not something you usually feel on a road bike, except immediately before a crash!!, on the trails it just slides about the entire time, very disconcerting for a newbie! Did eventually get used to it though but definitely need some proper coaching, if only to be able to keep up with my Son. :D
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    Are baggy shorts and a camelback compulsory ? I have both in a dark drawer somewhere :D

Baggy shorts are a must for me, but as a roady you'll be used to having your tackle thrusting forward on display :lol:

A camelbak is essential for me on anything other than a short jaunt, because I sweat a lot. Like ridiculously lots, and so it's the easiest way to carry three litres of water!
  • Well, the Excalibur was ready today , but there was no sign of the Fuel, so I ended up with an EX 8 instead (after a wee negotiation)

Took it a quick jaunt round a green track, then home to bugger around with ergonomics. It felt amazing, I was really impressed and that was just on whatever little ruts and rough stuff I could find.

Out all day tomorrow to get a proper feel for it, but I think I might like this MTB malarkey.

oooooh, and aren`t the brakes lethal ! phew ! :P
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    ben@31 wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:

So any bayonet then?

Épée-Baïonnette Modèle 1886

For those hard to reach hairs.

Don't be silly, those are for picking flies out of your teeth.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • 30k circuit on some nice wee tracks round my way today and the bike felt brilliant.

Flung it down a few sets of steps and was impressed with the whole bikes composure.

Bloody knackered pushing 13kgs about though ! should at least help me lose weight ! :D