Very loud Syncros/DT Swiss freehub

53/39alltheway
53/39alltheway Posts: 44
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Anyone have a solution to quietening down the free hub on a Syncros RR1.5 rear wheel? would applying a thicker oil to the pawls do the job?
Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000

Comments

• roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    That might work for a while but you may find it solidifies in winter if you go too thick. My Whyte mountain bike came with a hope rear hub which was ridiculously noisy, people could here you coming from 100 yards away.

In the end, I sold it and bought an identical wheel built on an XT hub which was pretty much silent. Not 'cool', I realise, but a lot more peaceful!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Stop freewheeling :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    I have an older DT hub (when they were called Hugi) and it is quite quiet when freewheeling. I'm not familiar with any DT hubs using pawls- they have two notched ratchets (http://www.dtswiss.com/Technology/Class ... technology) which are pushed together by springs when you pedal and thus engage the hub. DT makes a special grease that is expensive but works very well to lube the ratchets and quiet the sound when freewheeling. You want to use even the DT grease sparingly because too much will prevent the ratchets from engaging each other. I only used another grease once and it was too thick so switched to the DT stuff and it works. You might want to check to see if your Syncros DT hub is the same design but I'll bet that it is. Good luck!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    DT uses a double ratchet mechanism called Hugi... the noise it makes is a function of the lubrication... in the absence of grease it will be loud, while in the presence it can be totally silent. Suggest you service it with grease, not oil!
    left the forum March 2023
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The same wheels came on my bike, within 100 miles or so of dry riding the freewheel was very loud. If the grease is supposed to keep it quiet it can't be much good!
  • Thanks for the replies, "star ratchet" is the system DT call it apparently and they are known for running loud.
    What grease do you recommend Ugo?
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Thanks for the replies, "star ratchet" is the system DT call it apparently and they are known for running loud.
    What grease do you recommend Ugo?

Just a rebranding of the older Hugi. Any decent grease will do to be honest... one that is meant to be for rotating parts, like bearings. It is so easy to service these free hubs, that it is worth doing it very frequently
    left the forum March 2023