Front mech replacement

Schellpel
Schellpel Posts: 119
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
My front mech is on its last legs, not bad as its 9 years old :D I need a replacement. The bike is set up for 2x9 xt shifters
s
o I was wondering does Shimano or Sram do a 2x9 front mech ? or could I use a 2x10 front mech ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could use a 2x10, the cage inner dimensions are very slightly narrower (for the narrower 10 speed chain) so it's a little fussier on set up, but the upside is crisper shifting.

Shimano did an excellent low mount Deore 2x front mech, it was as light as the XT and I used one for a while on my HT before going 1x, can't recall the exact M number sorry.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Schellpel
    :| I can't find it either the shimano website is less than helpful. I need a low clamp one, so far best I can find is this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-top-swing-2x10-front-mech/rp-prod83158?gs=1&gclid=CNjrreKb88QCFTPMtAodqlUAsw&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Schellpel
    I have managed to find a second hand Shimano SLX M665 2x9 front mech for sale. Question is can I use that with a 3x shifter. Or like I have discovered with 10 speed is the ring spacing different. Kinda of thinking of just getting a deore 3x front mech and limiting the movement with the adjustment screws.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will work fine with that shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yeah would recommend a 9sp mech. Have tried a 10sp on a 9sp setup and although the shifting is crisp chain rub is a problem