First Post :-) - Al or Carbon, and which groupset?

trevorharris
trevorharris Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

First post, so hello to everyone!

So I'll get right into it. I bought a relatively inexpensive bike about two years ago. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something not knowing how much time I could dedicate to it. So I've learned to ride, and have put a fair bit of time into it, so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

Last year I was biking back-and-forth to work once per week [60 km], and I'm going on a ride on the weekends [50 km]. So presumably I will be doing at least this or more this year and moving forward. Also, I signed up for the sprint distance St. John's triathlon, so there's that to consider as well, albeit I don't intended on placing very well.

So discussing this with my local bike shop, he picked out a frame for me. The Giant Defy. Now, there still some choices. He's offered me deals on last years models; either an aluminum frame or a carbon frame. Also, there's the component groupset to consider. Here's a breakdown of what he offered:

Aluminium bike:
$850 - Tiagra
$1150 - 105
$1550 - Ultegra

Carbon:
$1350 - Tiagra
$1650 - 105
$ 2050 - Ultegra

Anway, given those prices and my intentions, I'd appreciate any advice any of you may have to offer. Thanks!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Some idea of which brands/models are being offered with the Alu and Carbon choices would be helpful. Reason being that in some cases a good Alu frame (such as a Cannondale CAAD) would be preferable to a low rent carbon frame.

You also don't state whether the 105 and Ultegra offerings are 10 or 11-speed. If it's a case of 11-speed 105 vs 10-speed Ultegra - I would go with the 105. In any case - even if they are both 10-speed I would question whether to spend a premium of approx $400 just for Ultegra.

Based on what you've provided so far I would opt for the Carbon frame with 105 but a bit more info might point to another choice being better.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    arlowood wrote:
    Based on what you've provided so far I would opt for the Carbon frame with 105 but a bit more info might point to another choice being better.

I think the OP has stated he's gone for a Defy but doesn't know whether to pay the extra to go carbon.

My experience with carbon is that it gives a smoother ride so I'd go that way if you can stretch to it instead of getting a higher end group set.

So, yeah, carbon with Tiagra or 105. I'm on 10 speed and can't see why 11 speed would be a major advantage so don't fret about that (I'm fairly indifferent about the jump from 9 to 10).
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    craker wrote:
    So, yeah, carbon with Tiagra or 105. I'm on 10 speed and can't see why 11 speed would be a major advantage so don't fret about that (I'm fairly indifferent about the jump from 9 to 10).

The extra cog isn't much of an advantage, but the way 5800/6800 works in comparison to 5700/6700 is a big improvement.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    OP, Can you tell us the exact models of the Defy your LBS is offering you, 2014 Alu Defy 1, 2, Defy Composite 1, 2, 3, or Defy Advanced 0, 1?

Have a read through this and note johngti's comments regarding the difference in ride between the Alu and Composite Defy frames. viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12969429&p=18878122#p18878122
  • Hey all, thanks for the replies, you've all be very helpful! I'd be so lost without the suggestions. The exact models he's offering me are linked below. 2014 models, al 2 and comp 3.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 807/66175/
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bi ... 806/66184/
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Trevor,
    Both the bikes you have linked to have 10p Tiagra and similar finishing kit. The geometry is the same so it really comes down to frame material, do you want the facility to fit the Defy specific mudguards, which you can only do with the Alu Defy 2. The comp 3 bike should be lighter and maybe a smoother ride, can you ride both before you buy? I can't tell you how the composite bike rides, I have only ridden the Aluxx bike, that is why I linked the view topic in which johngti gives his comparison for reference. Hope this helps.
  • DKay wrote:
    craker wrote:

The extra cog isn't much of an advantage, but the way 5800/6800 works in comparison to 5700/6700 is a big improvement.

DKay, I would be very interested in hearing more about this. can you provide some detail on what you mean?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Do a google search for reviews.