Chain jumping: Cassette worn or derailleur misalignment?

Devyhead
Devyhead Posts: 16
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I was riding my Cannondale Trail 4 to work the other day and started pedaling hard when I had some slippage on the chain. It was on the 3rd ring (outer) on the front, and 8th cog on the back. When I shifted down into the 7th gear there were no issues, and the 9th gear wasn't bad as the 8th. I tried making some 'on-the-fly' adjustments to the indexing, but to no avail. I later adjusted the b-screw so that it sat closer to the cassette (not too close), and this seemed to ease the issue, but it hasn't rectified it.

Although the replacable gear hanger appears inline, there is a minimal amount of flex in it, and I find no obvious damage/wear to the cassette. I have checked the chain for wear and there is no stretch in it, despite having covered somewhere around 800 miles on it. This might sound ridiculous, but is there any way the cassette could have worn without the chain stretching, or is this a gear tweaking exercise? Most of the miles I've done on the bike have been commuting and been on the 3 above mentioned gears, occasionally switching to the middle ring at the front.

Is there also any possibility of the freehub slipping? I noticed some rusty looking fluid coming out of it when I re-greased the bearings, though wouldn't have thought the own-branded Cannondale hub assembly would be giving me any issues just yet, and especially not just in these particular gears. Any help is appreciated as this is becoming an annoyance!