Embrocation

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
What do you use? Want something cheap and cheerful and moderately hot.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Buy some scotch bonnet chillies from your local asian/caribbean shop and soak them in rapeseed oil (or other) for a few weeks
    left the forum March 2023
  • dilatory
    Buy some scotch bonnet chillies from your local asian/caribbean shop and soak them in rapeseed oil (or other) for a few weeks

The problem with your posts is I don't know whether this is a brilliant idea or a potentially painful troll...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Stupid question, but I don't really see the point of embrocation. Why not just wear warmer kit?
  • dilatory
    Takes the chill off in a race where longs would get soggy and cold. Great this time of year where it's warm in the sun but cold in the shade or misty when you head out but likely to warm up later in the day. It's also great under tights when it is really cold.

Most important for me though, it's part of a pre-race / pre-long ride ritual. Sit down, rub it in, the smells etc. Sounds daft perhaps, but there's a couple of little habits I like and that's one of them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Many of these products contain capsicum, which is an extract from chilli... scotch bonnet are the best value for money as heat goes... I would say 2-3 in a small bottle of oil should work fine... chilli in oil is never as fierce as fresh
    left the forum March 2023