Scott scale 740 or Whyte 905

Jivetalker
Jivetalker Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks

In the process of buying a hardtail around the 1500 mark and think I am down to deciding between the Scott scale 740 and Whyte 905.

Any advice on which would be the better buy? Scott has better hardware but I know that isn't everything.

Cheers

Comments

• Bump
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Scale is very xc race orientated and the whyte is very trail orientated. What sort of riding do you do?
  • Thanks for your response.

I will be using it to commute to work in the week and on the weekend I will be going on the trails in and around the moors around Plymouth.

The reviews are good for the Whyte and I can't see much about the new Scale range although the specs are very good in comparison to the Whyte.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The Whyte is a great bike - I have one. As already said Whyte is the perfect trail bike and I think the Scott is more XC with less slack angles. The Scott may feel sharper/faster on the road and gravel roads. For more challenging terrain then the Whyte. Never actually ridden the Scott but they have a good reputation I think. I'd go by usage and frame geometry rather than spec. Vitus bikes (from CRC) might be worth a look?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I have a whyte 901 and love it. It climbs great, depends awesomely and is a great all rounder. So I'm guessing the 905 will be the same but bettter spec. Get the 905.