New Tyres

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Right so after A hole in my current tyre and tubless failed to seal it.. I'm after a new tyre, torn between the Bontrager XR4 and the Maxxis HRll

What would you reccommend out of these two??

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    depends on the conditions. most people will probably suggest the HR2, the 2.35 XR4 is actually 2.35
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm still enjoying the XR4s, could probably get away with something a bit smaller and faster on the rear but I find the very confidence inspiring
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Can easily fit them, got an XR3 on there at the moment as thatc came as standard. Just torn between these two!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like the old XR4 but not the newer ones. Specialized Purgatory Grid 2BR 2.35" are my favorites at the moment.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My XR4's lasted one enduro race...good grip but paper thin sidewalls. Was really disappointed. Would like to try the Enduro version (E01's?) but went for Conti BC TK's and you just can't beat them
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I like XR4's but used to find they were susceptible to holes in between tread knobs and need quite low pressures to get them working which meant more sidewall flex due to being thinner. For natural trails they work really well and roll pretty fast.

HR2 is more robust and probably works across a slightly broader range of conditions but the triple compound can wear quicker if running on harder terrain and they won't roll quite as well. I also really like Minions as an alternative as they out perform in all conditions but are slower rolling again.

For the current weather coming up I would run the XR4 if your terrain isn't too rocky and then swap out come winter time when they will be due a change anyway due to wear.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL