2013 Giant Anthem Headset

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

Going to replace the headset in my Anthem, it's FSA as std it's 1 1/8" and not 1 1/4" steerer and I have seen this one on Chainreaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... -prod80063.

I measured the original bearings with a digital vernier and the top is 30.2 x 40.97 x 6.5mm and the bottom is 39.8 x 51.8 x 7.95, also measured the headstock OD 50.4mm X 62.6mm so all figures look in the ball park, so would the above headset be the one I need ?

Does the headset come with the crown race ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That is for a tapered steerer and you say yours is a plain 1 1/8".

OD of the headtube isn't relevant it's the ID that is needed, suspect it will be 44mm each end, you could remove and measure the existing cups and not the cartridge bearings that came out of them that will be the same as the headtube ID (less interference fit).

Yes a headset will come with a new crown race.

Or you could just replace the cartridge bearings you've measured?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Will give you the headset standard needed, found it spot on in the past.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    That is for a tapered steerer and you say yours is a plain 1 1/8".

OD of the headtube isn't relevant it's the ID that is needed, suspect it will be 44mm each end, you could remove and measure the existing cups and not the cartridge bearings that came out of them that will be the same as the headtube ID (less interference fit).

Yes a headset will come with a new crown race.

Or you could just replace the cartridge bearings you've measured?

No not saying mine is a plain 1 1/8" it's tapered but Giants come in 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" with their Overdrive system.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Better not to say its 1 1/8 then!

You still need the ID of the headtube, anything else is fairly meaningless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Looks like it will work, I expect it's zs44/56 but again the above link will provide the correct standard.
  • iwilldoit
    Antm81 wrote:
    Looks like it will work, I expect it's zs44/56 but again the above link will provide the correct standard.

Looked on Cane Creek and yes it seems to ZS 44/56 and on the FSA web site the FSA Orbit 57 is ZS 44/56 so looks correct.
  • Antm81
    Same as my trance then, as is expect as long as it's a similar sort of year.