Aluminium and carbon

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Simple one and don't want to bleed the carbon v aluminium to death with a healthy debate.

Light XC hardtail 29ers.

Would you choose at the same price:
1. Aluminium frame with top components X1 and carbon bars etc and good wheels or

2.carbon frame but with some XT and SLX components but lower spec than the aluminium.

This is taking into account very little money left for upgrades.
Aluminium bike is 0.25kg lighter at 10kg.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, assuming they are both the same size and both fit me as well, making also some assumptions on parts fitted you haven't mentioned, I'd go with the Carbon frame as with some upgrades it will soon be below the weight of the Al frame. Also as the differences mentioned are unlikely to be the full weight difference there could be some big hits on either (but more likely on the CF) for not much money, such as seatpost or bars.

First off, are the weights comparable, you only need one to include and one exclude pedals and that's another 300-400g, also what weight tyres as you'll almost certainly be replacing them that could swing that weight calculation another 200-400g. In other words by the time you ride it the heavier bike may be lighter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For me it would be the fork which would decide it. If they have comparable quality forks then I would go for the carbon bike.
    Remember that with 11 speed groupsets replacement parts are several times the cost of 10 speed. I pay around £35 for ten speed XT cassettes while an X01 cassette is around £170 minimum if you get a good deal.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As you mention you won't have much money left over I would go for the carbon as the replacement parts will be cheaper and easier to source.

Once you get to XT level components or similar unless you are very talented and have a clear idea of what you want and why , spending more is not worth it for most riders.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Kajjal wrote:
    Once you get to XT level components or similar unless you are very talented and have a clear idea of what you want and why , spending more is not worth it for most riders.

I know a pro rider who uses Deore on his bikes because it's 90% as good as XTR, costs bugger all and lasts well. Transmission is about the only bits he isn't sponsored for but I guess he probably only pays trade cost at most.
    I use XT cos I'm crap and if I have lots of shiny bits on my bike people expect me to be really crap.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    For me it would be the fork which would decide it. If they have comparable quality forks then I would go for the carbon bike.
    Remember that with 11 speed groupsets replacement parts are several times the cost of 10 speed. I pay around £35 for ten speed XT cassettes while an X01 cassette is around £170 minimum if you get a good deal.

Very true point regarding the 10 speed price vs 11 speed.

The fork on the carbon is a SID and aluminium is a FOX with the kashima coating.The SID is not shabby at all and I've had one before and got on very well with it.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Ignore the Kashima coating on the Fox fork. Its marketing bo11ocks and makes a tiny difference. The Sid will be just as good. I would go carbon.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Kajjal wrote:

I know a pro rider who uses Deore on his bikes because it's 90% as good as XTR, costs bugger all and lasts well. Transmission is about the only bits he isn't sponsored for but I guess he probably only pays trade cost at most.
    I use XT cos I'm crap and if I have lots of shiny bits on my bike people expect me to be really crap.

I use XT for my brakes as I am very tall and weight around 100kg, I found cheaper brakes not as good for me. Apart from that whatever works reliably without costing too much, as I don't push it as hard as I used to in my twenties.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Deore are just as powerful as XT (and SLX & XTR). They are heavier and less adjustable.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Kajjal wrote:

I know a pro rider who uses Deore on his bikes because it's 90% as good as XTR, costs bugger all and lasts well

Doesn't sound like a pro then. Good rider, elite, whatever, but I can't see any professional rider (of which there are hardly any!) being given a Deore equipped bike, nor having to buy their own. In XC at least, can't imagine DH is too different, and it's a rather irrelevant comparison even if so.

I'd get the better frame. Stuff wears out, and you'll change it as you go, upgrading if you wish. That said, the 2014 SID on my Superfly feels much worse than any of the older SIDs I've had, dunno if they've just made them more crap or if mine's problematic (only had Dual Air ones previously). The Fox 100 RL Fit I had before was far better despite being several years older. All things being equal I'd buy the Fox these days, and ironically it's probably cheaper to buy the alu bike and swap to a carbon frame, than to buy the carbon bike and fit a Fox fork.