Long-term fantastic kit

BR_Gregor
BR_Gregor Posts: 222
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi there folks, was wondering if anyone cared to share what pieces of kit they've used for years and years/miles and miles/kms and kms, and which has still kept going strong?

What piece of kit or bike is still going as good as ever despite being bought years ago? Name 'em and fame 'em, guys. Looking for your long-term gems here.

If I get enough then I'll share them with the wider community, ie, up on the main site.

Cheers!
Communities and On Your Bike Editor, BikeRadar

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    1) Assos 851 jacket... awesome, sadly they no longer make it

2) Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed group set... low to mid range, but incredible quality and very very durable
    left the forum March 2023
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    The Trek OCLV frame.
    I think it's fair to say that it showed the way for carbon frames when ridden by USPS and the like. I bought one in 1999 so have ridden it for 16 years. Few crashes, original fork de-bonded, but the frame goes on.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I'd 2nd the Assos 851 jacket. I've had it about 10 years and despite having a bit of a jacket addiction, it's still my favourite winter jacket even if I do look like an extra from Star Trek in it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    crikey wrote:
    The Trek OCLV frame.
    I think it's fair to say that it showed the way for carbon frames when ridden by USPS and the like. I bought one in 1999 so have ridden it for 16 years. Few crashes, original fork de-bonded, but the frame goes on.

Carbon frames of that vintage were of exceptional quality... mind you, they were 1.2 Kg instead of 700 grams...
  • bjl
    bjl Posts: 353
    + 1 on the Assos 851, Look 595 frame and Campagnolo Carbon Ultra Torque chainsets . Love the Look frame , mine is getting on a bit now and i keep getting an itch for something different but can't think how it would be bettered.
  • ol9
    ol9 Posts: 50
    Gore Bike Wear Phantom 2 Windstopper Jacket with its removable arms, use it for my commute, best bit of cycling kit I've ever bought.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Louis Garneau Tri-Lite shoes. Easily the best shoes I've ever worn and have proven more comfortable, versatile and durable than Specialized, Northwave and Fizik. They've served me through around 20,000km of commuting, crits, 25 mile TTs, 10 mile TTs, 2 trips to Flanders and 2 years of club runs and training rides.

I'll be heartbroken when they finally give up the ghost and I am currently scouring the internet looking for another pair. May give the Tri X-lites a try.
  • One of the first Rapha Belgian style winter hats. Made in Italy. Has become an old friend over many years and rides, to the extent that heading out in the recent warmer weather without it felt strange. A couple of bobbles on the inside but otherwise good for a few years yet.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've been amazed by Dura Ace 7801 series (I think that's the reference) which came with my spesh roubaix pro of 2006 vintage. I've used the bike every day when possible for my daily commute in central London. So lots of stopping and starting for lights and traffic and loads and loads of gear changes. I've just this month retired the wheels due to rim wear but the hubs remain fab; the DA ergo's continue to work after all this time. Oh and a mention for the frame - not the best fit for me but it still seems to be tip top condition.

Love my assos 851 airjack albeit I have taken a shining this winter to the castelli alpha jacket. Will reconsider next winter! Assos f5.13 bib shorts have been ace too - perfect fit for me.

I think though, that my all time favourites are my oakley jawbone prescription transition lensed glasses. They absolutely transformed my enjoyment of cycling providing a superb view; protection from the sun; and great protection from the breeze, particularly in icy winter winds.

Peter
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Campag original Athena cartridge bottom bracket from late 1990s still running smoothly on my tourer.

Campag Euclid cantilever brakes from late 80s still working fine on my tourer.

Campag Veloce nine-speed ergo levers from around 2000, again still working fine on tourer. Contrast with Shimano RSX STI seven-speed shifters and Dura Ace nine-speed bar end levers on which indexing broke and were unrepairable.

Assos 851 jacket (the original type with windproof panels in black) which I guess I bought around 2000.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Rapha Essentials case. I picked one up for about £10 at a sample sale (the Paul Smith purple one) and it has been everywhere with me and I wouldn't do without it. Bloody ace.
    Lezyne road drive pump. Puts air in tyres. Good kit.
    Cycle caps - no brand in particular. Keep water off your glasses, sweat off the helmet pads and cheap as chips. Love 'em.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    A wee mention for Schwalbe Durano. Easily fit for 8000 miles and do everything really well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bjl wrote:
    Love the Look frame , mine is getting on a bit now and i keep getting an itch for something different but can't think how it would be bettered.

It can't. Lugged carbon construction is head and shoulders above those in mold things, when it comes to durability... look at those Colnago C40 which 20 years on are still going strong
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    bjl wrote:
    Love the Look frame , mine is getting on a bit now and i keep getting an itch for something different but can't think how it would be bettered.

It can't. Lugged carbon construction is head and shoulders above those in mold things, when it comes to durability... look at those Colnago C40 which 20 years on are still going strong

+1 on this, my look 585 is the best ever.
    its used as a race bike, tourer, winter hack, turbo steed... cant see me ever replacing it.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Gore contest fingerless gloves. Bought them in 2011, hundreds of hours on the bars yet the palms are still fine.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Sidi Drako. Had mine a year now, commuting, cross, general use. Wet weather, dirt, mud. Mounts and dismounts. Look as good as new.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • crikey
    Had mine a year now

Come on, we are talking about long term use; raise your game laddie!

I have a pair of Gore long fingered gloves that are 17 years old and are still serviceable. I took them back to the shop after 15 years to complain that they had a hole in one finger ( in a humorous way...) and got told by the shop owner to 'bugger off and stop being silly'...
  • crikey
    ...aaaaaand a Specialized Sub Six helmet from about 1991.

Lighter, more aero and much better looking than most modern helmets. If anyone would like to debate the safety aspect, please do it somewhere else.

20130725_160800%255B1%255D.jpg
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    crikey wrote:
    Had mine a year now

Come on, we are talking about long term use; raise your game laddie!

I have a pair of Gore long fingered gloves that are 17 years old and are still serviceable. I took them back to the shop after 15 years to complain that they had a hole in one finger ( in a humorous way...) and got told by the shop owner to 'bugger off and stop being silly'...

They've done about 8000 miles....... One cross season a d commuting 5 days a week....
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • crikey
    I've got underpants older than that.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Purchased about 1998;

Castelli_Jersey.jpg
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..4 years all year use from an Icebreaker merino base layer, and don't see any need to replace it for some time......does that count?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Not strictly cycling gear, but the classic has to be the Helly Hansen base layer. Turn up at any fell race and you'll see the old timers modelling examples that are clearly decades old.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the predecessor to the 851 (called Airjack) and it's easily the best but of kit I have. Immaculate condition except for a small nick where I had an off and fell on my keys. Super comfy, perfect race fit, lots of pocket space, excellent temp range
  • BR_Gregor
    BR_Gregor Posts: 222
    Published this one online on Sunday, guys: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... kit-44173/ Thanks for your entries! Might look to update it again – in about 10 years maybe when we've all had a chance to long-term test some new bits of kit... ;-)
    Communities and On Your Bike Editor, BikeRadar