Strava or MapMyRide

AaronHaach
AaronHaach Posts: 15
edited May 2015 in The hub
Which is best?

I am using MapMyRide and have clocked up 40 miles with it so far. The app seems OK but i have heard that Strava is rather good also.

What do you use?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Strava for recording rides, and ridewithgps to plan routes.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    drlodge wrote:
    Strava for recording rides, and ridewithgps to plan routes.
    ^^^^^^
    +1
  • Thank you both, i have just downloaded it.

I am going for a ride this evening so i look forward to trying it out!

Add me as a friend if you wish, just search for Aaron Hambleton.

Would be good to see some activity in my activity feed!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Strava all the way for me, the others are nice if you just want to add rides, but love the competitive and community element of Strava, plus it does a lot of the logging stuff well too.
  • Used Strava this afternoon my ride, worked a treat.

Do you pay for Premium or does the free version offer enough?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've tried a few others but found Strava the best plus all my riding friends use it too so it's from a social point of view. I think the free version offers enough I personally don't have a need for premium.
  • freezing77 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    ......ridewithgps to plan routes.
    ^^^^^^
    +1
    +2:

The reason I chose www.ridewithgps.com is that I've found it the most user friendly, the course is intuitive to plan, then edit if needed, both during composition and when recalled at a later date. One handy feature I like is you can toggle between walking-cycling-driving when creating, so for you can switch to walking if you want to take the a shortcut over a footbridge for example.
  • Always used mapmyride for work commutes, not religiously and never had any complaints in using it.

Just installed Strava today, and think it is better after one use. Was good to see that both apps give consistent times between them.

But I think Strava has the edge in terms of improving yourself. Commutes are lonely and boring and you get in to a habit, but being compared to virtual riders makes you want to push yourself harder to get higher on the board.

One use and I'm converted to strava times. Even though some of the times look dubious. Over a 2 mile stretch I did 8.33 minutes top 10 are all low 4 minutes. How I have no idea, unless on super smooth magic roadbikes, but I was on a mountain bike.

Anyway digressing now, but I see the potential of strava.
  • njee20
    Even though some of the times look dubious. Over a 2 mile stretch I did 8.33 minutes top 10 are all low 4 minutes. How I have no idea, unless on super smooth magic roadbikes, but I was on a mountain bike.

You're not fast. HTH.

Some Strava times are achieved in road races, which tends to give a cluster of very quick times, but I've never seen a segment where I genuinely disbelieve the times, except the odd anomaly where folk have left their GPS running in their car or whatever.
  • Yeah probably true, out of shape, though pushed myself tonight and knocked five minutes of my overall commute.

HTH?
  • Yeah probably true, out of shape, though pushed myself tonight and knocked five minutes of my overall commute.

HTH?

It's ok I know now, Nope doesn't help.

But the section where I am looking at, a good 4 mile route (not whole commute) decent climb for half of it then flat with no protection from the elements for a quarter and a quarter downhill. I'm half way on the leader board out of a eleven hundred, not bad considering on knoblies a bike that is heavy and standard and a rider who is heavier and unfit with shopping on the back and 20psi in tires. But it does help as having imaginary riders to beat is good motivation.

Miss the dirty dan roadie who I used to battle it out with always jumping the reds. But it was fun tormenting him by riding wheel to wheel and he couldn't pull away in his spandex :twisted:
  • Anyway digressed again.

STRAVA big thumbs up for me.

How are you finding it Aaron?
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Strava convert here.

hope that helps
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • njee20
    Miss the dirty dan roadie who I used to battle it out with always jumping the reds. But it was fun tormenting him by riding wheel to wheel and he couldn't pull away in his spandex :twisted:

Sounds like a dreadful roadie ;-)
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    njee20 wrote:
    but I've never seen a segment where I genuinely disbelieve the times, except the odd anomaly where folk have left their GPS running in their car or whatever.

I saw one where someone clocked 108mph down a section of Blackamoor in Sheffield.
  • njee20
    That be one of those "odd anomalies" I mentioned then?

A lot of people seem to think that all the times at the top of Strava leaderboards are fanciful and thus they have no validity. Aside from those sorts of errors I don't think it's the case, they're generally very 'realistic' for the people involved IMO.
  • Anyway digressed again.

STRAVA big thumbs up for me.

How are you finding it Aaron?

Finding it extremely good!

My colleagues at work have a team/group set up on Strava, which i am now a part of. More reason to be competitive and cycle further each time :)
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I use Strava for cycling & Endomondo for recording my dog walking. I only look at timed segments that contain off road sections to weed out the roadies, but I think I have a few cyclecrosser fast on the up hill but slower on down lol.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • Okarnill
    Okarnill Posts: 20
    +1 for Strava - coming from the area with the countries worst network coverage it always seems to work for me wherever I am.