Zipp Firecrest 303's or 404's?

pechacheli
pechacheli Posts: 184
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently use Mavic Carbone's which I love and want to upgrade to zipps but not sure which version to consider?

I am doing a far bit of climbing this year however prefer a versatile wheel with aero properties

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

P

Comments

• I've just had a similar debate and ended up buying some of the new Reynolds Strike slg's to fit on my new Ridley Noah SL.

After a lot of research and reading this forum I read a number of horror stories about poor hubs and disappointing customer service. They are also expensive.

I got the Strikes from my LBS for £1125 and others have managed to get the Assaults for less. So far the performance of the Strikes has been excellent. Certainly made me faster, have neutral handling in cross winds and the braking is actually very good. They also look awesome. They are a similar in weight to the Zipps, are cheaper and Reynolds have their repair and replace scheme for any disasters in your first 2 yrs of ownership for a reasonable fee which i will take up.

If your going to focus on climbing you probably want to go for the Assaults which are more akin to the 303's.
  • pechacheli
    pechacheli Posts: 184
    i popped into a LBS last week and Reynolds Assaults were mentioned as alternative to Mavic's..

glad to hear they perform well.

yet another option to consider! the mind boggles!

thanks...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I think I must have faulty 303 FC's tubs because I've been riding them since Feb 2013 and they've not exploded and I'm still alive after thousands of miles of riding.

IMO they're a great all-rounder. I've ridden them in the Alps, in hill climb TT's, on every sportive I've done since 2012, in the wet, dry, wind and on some shocking roads and they're still completely true. Just had them checked over this year and there are zero issues – the bearings don't even need re greased yet! My mate managed to crash his bike and wreck his rear 303 wheel and is now riding a V9 version (I’m on the V8). The only difference he can find is that the new one doesn’t sound like an angry wasp which he’s not happy about.

I’d recommended them without hesitation but I’m sure the doomsday crew will be on to say you will dead within the week ;-)