Orange 5 Views on this bike?

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking at this bike any views?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-5-Moun ... 4193b1a0af

It will be for rough forest tracks and possible downhill if i feel brave enough?

Comments

• timboellis wrote:
    Looking at this bike any views?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-5-Moun ... 4193b1a0af

It will be for rough forest tracks and possible downhill if i feel brave enough?

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on that.
  • timboellis
    Still swaying full sus or hard tail
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally no, putting aside the Marmite opinions on fives and being objective, the forks will need replacing soon and that frame won't take tapered forks which means it's already getting harder to find forks to suite new, at that price I'd expect good forks anyway, even used you are looking at circa £140-160 to get a replacement in the condition you'd expect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timboellis
    Thanks, i may just stick with a newer hard tail then?
  • The Rookie
    If you want an FS, then a decent FS can be had at that price, just not that one in my opinion, have you had a look on pauls cycles website?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timboellis
    I have not but TBH I have no idea what i am looking at
  • The Rookie
    Perhaps if you tell us what riding you realistically expect to be doing in the next 1-2 years and we can then suggest some options.

All bikes can be ridden downhill, not that many can do Downhill, but you wouldn't want to be riding a Dowhnhill bike anything but Downhill as they are no fun, but a modernish mid travel trail bike will do almost anything fairly well, while a shorter travel bike makes life even easier for most types of riding but can cope with 'rougher' stuff with some care.
  • timboellis
    Very rough and pot holed forestry tracks that can be flooded 99% of the time but would like the possible option of doing an actual MTB course but not too fussed if not able to.
    Also to be very light so that i can carry it over fenses / rivers etc.
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like you are after a short to mid travel trail bike then, although a hardtail will do all that no problem, and are inherently 0.5-1.0Kg lighter. The Five certainly wouldn't have been my choice for that usage and it is as heavy as the fourth road bridge (well nearly) and about 0.5Kg heavier than a reasonably lightweight FS.

Have a look at the Giant Anthems or Trance on the Pauls cycles website, id provide a link but my Company firewall has that one blocked as it's 'sports' (not all cycling websites are as honest thank goodness!).
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Agree about five weight. I hate to think the amount of money I spent on my five to get it anywhere near 29lbs. If light is on your list I would suggest it's the wrong bike.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like you are after a short to mid travel trail bike then, although a hardtail will do all that no problem, and are inherently 0.5-1.0Kg lighter. The Five certainly wouldn't have been my choice for that usage and it is as heavy as the fourth road bridge (well nearly) and about 0.5Kg heavier than a reasonably lightweight FS.

Have a look at the Giant Anthems or Trance on the Pauls cycles website, id provide a link but my Company firewall has that one blocked as it's 'sports' (not all cycling websites are as honest thank goodness!).

I agree with this, although the trance again is probably again a little overkill for your riding (the newer ones anyway) the anthem would be a good choice or maybe the Giant Stance if you want a FS.
  • The Rookie
    DOH, meant the Stance!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That Orange is £200 overpriced