forks 80mm travel 1 1/8 straight steerer qr v-brake

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am planning on slowly doing up my old bike for my wife. First of all I'm just going to change the cables and put on new v-brakes (old ones super rusty). I've been toying with changing the forks (Manitou something or others) as they barely work and I am assuming too old to be worth servicing or if you could even get new elastomers.

I can't actually find any new forks with the criteria of 80mm travel, v-brake mounts, 9mm QR, 1 1/8 steerer. The nearest I can find are RS XC28 (with 100mm travel) but these are very heavy as well as not exactly great!

Are there any new options I am missing?

Otherwise I'll keep an eye on ebay and hope a reasonable condition reasonably priced pair of Judy's or something comes up and get them serviced. I almost think this would be better as it fits the era of the bike better (mid nineties).

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Watch on ebay, quite a lot of good condition forks come up, also consider using the more popular 100mm travel as I doubt it will have any adverse effects for your intended useage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look at the sales pages on www.retrobike.co.uk

Some decent stuff comes up regularly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Cheers - I'd have had them in a shot if they were avail. I did start looking on retrobike earlier actually. I think it probably better there than ebay as I'd have more faith they were looked after a bit!

You are right about 100mm, i don't think stress on the bike will be an issue as I can't see her going faster than a fast jog on fairly average trails!!