Sub £1500 bike

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Boardman MTB Comp HT 650 which i have had for the last year or so as just starting out.

I mainly do forestry tracks, these are mostly large scalpings, sandy, loads of water and many many pot holes.

I feel i may have outgrown the Boardman and find it a bit heavy and not 100% happy with it to be fair with regards to various issues i have had with bearings / hubs / cable rub etc.

So for once i am in a possition to actually go to some real bike shops as heading down to cardiff for 3 months with work as I am currently up by John O' Groats where there are no decent bike shops for 200-300 miles so its alway smail order.

I was thinking of leaving my Boardman at home with a view to getting a new bike while down there so i can use it there, so any suggestions on a shop to go to and also an idea of a bike?

I was gong to go to Tredz / Evans Cycles / The Bike Shed and Sunset Bikes

Tim

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure about your other issues without details, but cable rub happens on all bikes, you just need to protect it properly!

Evans are no better (or worse) than Halfords, no experience of the others.

The Boardman is not at all a bad bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless you are very tall you will have a large range of sale bikes available from the retailers you listed and also pauls cycles can have some good deals. Have a think if you prefer HT or FS and if you are after a more xc style bike or one more suited to bike parks / trail centres. If you are confident there are second hand bargains around with barely ridden bikes at half retail price.