Your trivial pro-rider fan pet hates

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Somewhere where you can rant about things about fans of pro riders that irritate you.

I'll kick it off.

Their faces.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Hero worship of dirty drug cheats.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    628x471.jpg

Pricks
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Ah ha!

People that denigrate fans for supporting riders from the same country there from citing some nonsense about that's not how it works in cycling.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Fans who don't hold a stuffed animal whilst running alongside riders.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Fans who use chummy and overly familiar nicknames for riders as if they are mates.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    DL1987 wrote:

:D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Fans who use chummy and overly familiar nicknames for riders as if they are mates.

Definitely.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited April 2015
    mfin wrote:

Definitely.

Oh I dunno, I think it's really nice when they call someone after their cute dog, Piti is a really sweet name
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    In a similar vein using a rider's foreign and usual contrived nickname (frequently by people trying to pass themselves off a as knowledgable). For example saying/writing "I expect Lo Squallo dello Stretto to attack on the descent"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    RichN95 wrote:
    In a similar vein using a rider's foreign and usual contrived nickname (frequently by people trying to pass themselves off a as knowledgable). For example saying/writing "I expect Lo Squallo dello Stretto to attack on the descent"

Brilliant

In the same way they scoff when you express enthusiasm for the TDF, claiming that the Giro is by far the best race as if to appear more knowledgable...yet are sat in their replica yellow jersey for 3 weeks every year
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Easy answer this one.

Any fan that isn't me.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Fans that just cause they have watched the sport for a few years and have a few twitter followers think they are the moral guardians of the sport and will shout down any rider they have suspicions over/don't like and always get involved with any amateur hour campaign (CCN, the Kimmage Fund etc). And if other fans or pro's don't join/agree with them are then you are part of problem.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Any 'fan' who wants to get on tv more than watch the best climbers in the World.

Struggling to find any pet hates to be honest.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Another one, unsurprising for anyone familiar with my posts, the use of times/estimated watts to make comparisons (with a view to 'proving' doping') with no reference or even acknowledgement to the race situations.

For example (done by me, with real times):
    Champs Elysees. Final kilometre
    2005 1.05 Vinokourov
    2009 0.55 Cavendish
    2012 0.55 Cavendish
    2014 0.57 Kittel

So much for the clean generation. How can they beat the times of the EPO dopers.
  • RichN95.
    mr_poll wrote:
    Fans that just cause they have watched the sport for a few years and have a few twitter followers think they are the moral guardians of the sport and will shout down any rider they have suspicions over/don't like and always get involved with any amateur hour campaign (CCN, the Kimmage Fund etc). And if other fans or pro's don't join/agree with them are then you are part of problem.
    And when those twitter users use refer to riders by the their twitter handles in a passive aggressive manner, with the intention that the objects of their ire are included in their opinions.

e.g. "I think @akristoff is the biggest doper since @skyfroome"

It's the equivalent of two ten year olds in a playground saying to each other "James smells of poo" really loudly so that James can hear.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Those all in one gimp suits that make you look like a a sperm that fell in a paint pot.
    DL1987 wrote:

And this. All fans must hold a stuffed animal. It should be a rule.

Just checking we are allowed to use 'our own made up nicknames' though right? I mean I can't just resign Señor Hairplugs and Toblerone Boy to the dustbin of cycling history.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Fans who are younger than me.

There is no flexibility in this. My view is that fans who are older than me are all experienced club riders with a long and comprehensive experience of road cycling, and an accurate and encyclopedic knowledge of riders and results from the 1970s onwards. And fans who are younger than me are all johnny-come-lately naive stupid immature tdf fan boys with limited if any appreciation of the realities of road racing. There are no exceptions and if the evidence points to the contrary i just assume i have got someone's age wrong.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Those all in one gimp suits that make you look like a a sperm that fell in a paint pot.
    DL1987 wrote:

Just checking we are allowed to use 'our own made up nicknames' though right? I mean I can't just resign Señor Hairplugs and Toblerone Boy to the dustbin of cycling history.

Suitcase of Cycling History, surely?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    People who think power meters somehow effect the results of races. And people who think radio's = radio controlled races
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    The ones who spend more time analysing what some twitter names have said than watching the racing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:
    DL1987 wrote:

Suitcase of Cycling History, surely?

Ooo yes. Suitcase of cycling history
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Some very good points here.

People without stuffed animals :lol:

Idiots who want to get on TV (Stuffed animal man was not about the TV, I think he was just excited) (I'm looking at you American football helmet with Antlers man) and don't give a monkey's about the race

People trying to take selfies who endanger the riders

I don't mind people that run with the riders as this has always happened but they have to be courteous and don't get in the way of anyone. The ones that do just make me incredibly angry and make me want to throw things at the screen

ATC, I definitely think Toblerone has to stay, the guy is obsessed with them!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    People who quote Phil & Paul's rules of thumb as if it shows some sort of cycling knowledge. The 10 seconds per kilometre or whatever it is being the prime example.

Those who care more about doping than cycling.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    People who quote Phil & Paul's rules of thumb as if it shows some sort of cycling knowledge. The 10 seconds per kilometre or whatever it is being the prime example.
    It hasn't even been valid since HTC rewrote the sprint team's manual.
  • above_the_cows
    Paul 8v wrote:
    ATC, I definitely think Toblerone has to stay, the guy is obsessed with them!

This is a blessed relief. :D
  • The legions of try hards who went to the Six last year from London cycling clubs wearing club kit... And retro casquettes. Because how else would I know you liked cycling?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Paul 8v wrote:
    People trying to take selfies who endanger the riders

This doesn't just apply to cycling fans.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    The legions of try hards who went to the Six last year from London cycling clubs wearing club kit... And retro casquettes. Because how else would I know you liked cycling?

To be fair, this makes them easier to avoid.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    The legions of try hards who went to the Six last year from London cycling clubs wearing club kit... And retro casquettes. Because how else would I know you liked cycling?

People who call caps casquettes.....