Anyone ride a Ribble?

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone. Still looking into a new 2nd bike for dry/summer use.

I have a bit of a shortlist, but top of the list with their bikebuilder options are Ribble. Specifically the Gran Fondo or the R872.

I'm leaning more towards the Gran Fondo looks-wise, but i keep reading reviews online describing the bikes "plush" ride, long head tube and "more upright" riding position. Whilst i'm not expecting a chopper-type seating position, i am a little concerned i'll be too upright.

The 872 on the other hand sounds more appropriate as it is a bit more "racier" and stiffer framed. But how harsh is the ride? After 50 miles do you have any feeling below the waist??

I ride hilly areas in north Wales, or longer, flatter routes round Cheshire mainly, covering 30-60 miles, as well as the odd long 100-miler. At the moment, i ride a Specialized Allez Elite which i believe with its geometry is aimed more at the sportive type rider. Pace-wise, i tend to average 17-18mph as well as the occasional Strava bashing segment chasing.

Obviously ordering one without even sitting on it is a little daunting, so if anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated. Ta.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The Allez is a really good alloy frame. I think that a ribble, good as they are, would be too small an upgrade, if at all.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Perhaps just spend the money on nicer parts for the Allez?
  • Rhod81
    Thanks guys... Thing is, the Allez is five years old now. Its looking a little well-used now. To be fair, its done a good 20,000 miles in that time though!

I do like Specialized, and the price range im looking at would allow a Tarmac with 105. But a similar specced Ribble, with specified finishing bits would come in £300 cheaper.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited April 2015
    I have an Allez and a Gran Fondo. The thing is with Ribble you can spec it up as much as you want on the bike builder section on their website, so the sky's the limit in terms of groupset, wheels etc and it can be as much or as little of an upgrade from your current bike as you want to make it. There will be better frames out there but it is on a par with most other mass produced carbon frames in this price bracket. As for the geometry, although it is aimed at sportive type riding, it's not a " sit up and beg" type position by any means, I wouldn't have bought a bike like that. There are a few pics of Gran Fondos on here, mine is about 16th post down, leaning against the shed.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12930362&p=18413218#p18413218

And here it is on a lovely ride last summer :D

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12966906&p=18971710#p18971710

I am still smitten with mine, it is fantastic looking in the flesh (especially with my Fulcrum Quattros, added last year) and a joy to ride. If it helps with sizing, I am 5'10", average build and my Allez is a 54cm, my Ribble is a medium. Both fit like a glove.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • moefoemil
    moefoemil Posts: 254
    I ride a R872 (stealth), and LOVE it!! The geometry is pretty aggressive, but with a decent/comfortable saddle and a proper bike fit I have had no pain or discomfort even on longer rides. Before this I rode a Giant Defy2, I swapped most of the components over onto the Ribble frame/forks and the Ribble seems streets ahead to me. If it is any help to you give me a PM and I'll send you some photos and spec list.
    All in all I would give the Ribble R872 the thumbs up.
    Hope this is of some help.
    ATB. Gaz
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • Rhod81
    Thanks for the info Crescent and Moefoemil.

Im still thinking more along the lines of the GF as at the end of the day, im not into racing, i just want to go out and get some long rides in - the GF looks great in the photos (bet even better in the flesh). The 872 looks good too in its stealth-black and i guess even if it is stiff, i could couple it with a ti railed saddle (which ive done with my allez, noticing an improvement in road buzz).

I have had an email from Ribble who said with my spec (on a GF) id be looking at a build roughly 8.4kg. Is it a decent climber? How about flat out speed - is acceleration good? I notice when i put some aggressive acceleration on my Allez, i feel like the frame is flexing from the bb/chain stay area. That is the main reason i would be considering the R872 instead.

Thanks again.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I ride a GF and would recommend it. But I wouldn't necessarily see it as an upgrade from an Allez.

However if you regard it as a replacement to a bike which has served you well and is now redundant or your winter bike then the GF easily fits that bill.
  • Spooked
    Spooked Posts: 90
    Ive got a Gran Fondo on the clearance frame sale from Ribble. Built up with a mixture of campag parts.

Its not the lightest nor the heaviest. Its replaced a carbon synapse that I reversed over and simply couldn't afford to replace.

I find it rides well, I'm not personally overly keen on the graphics nor the carbon weave that it has but aesthetics aside which is just me being me I think its a great all-round frame. I've had an allez and I would say it is a slight upgrade.

It accelerates well and is stiff enough to highlight how flexy my rear wheel is. Sprinting is good. Climbing is pretty good on it too. I've not detected any flex from the bottom bracket. I weigh in at 75kg.

I wouldn't say its an overly relaxed sportive format frame despite the reviews.

I normally use mine from 30 to 100 mile rides and find it really comfy. I'm 6 foot and ride a medium. I have disproportionate legs and a ridiculously short body so end up with a lot of seatpost on show. Anything larger and I start getting neck pain and end up to spread out over longer rides.

Seems well finished. Mine has integrated cables too and holes for Di2 etc.

For the money I think they are brilliant. My only critisism would be the rear hanger. I've had a couple that have been really soft metal and bent easily. The replacement seems to be holding up well.
  • Rhod81
    Thanks for that Navrig, that is what im looking for.

I dont see the point of spending loads on levelling-up model wise. £1500 is really my limit. Could afford a little more, but dont really see the point.

The Allez is a good bike, and its not like im getting rid of it, i do still fully intend to use it. It has been used almost every day, in all conditions for everything from my 3-mile commute to 100 mile Sportives (including the full length Cheshire Cat the other week - first 50 miles = torrential rain!).

Its just a bit... Old. Fancy something shiny and new, and saving the allez for when the weather turns and/or commuting.
  • Rhod81
    Thanks Spooked. That all is helpfull stuff
  • crescent
    Rhod81 wrote:
    I dont see the point of spending loads on levelling-up model wise. £1500 is really my limit. Could afford a little more, but dont really see the point.

The Gran Fondo and R872 were available for less than £1000 a few weeks ago, both with good groupsets (Ultegra on the GF I think). A nice set of wheels on top of that and you could still be well within your £1500 budget.

Enjoy whichever model you chose :)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • jaylfc147
    jaylfc147 Posts: 49
    I've got an R872 with full 105, amazing bike great for racing and loves riding at high speeds. The gran Fondo looks really good with a more relaxed position if that suits you better. If you're not a bike snob I think Ribble bikes are fantastic quality, customer service reviews are a bit ropey but you'll get the bike you want, eventually! I personally had excellent customer service, ordered a spec online and when I went in they changed it all around when they saw I was 6ft4.
    Don't bother with the Rodi Airline wheels, utter Sh1te! Flex loads out the saddle and are very heavy.

Hope this helps

James
  • Rhod81
    Crescent and Jaylfc. Thanks, and im pretty much set on the Gran Fondo.

Whilst the 872 is appealing, i prefer the appearance of the GF, plus one of the guys i occasinally ride with has one... We'd look like a couple!

Ive been playing with the bike builder and at the moment - subject to change - im looking at the GF, Campag Athena with carbon shifters, Mavic Ksyriums and Deda seatpost, stem and bars. All for around 1350.

My one question, which i emailed Ribble about (last night, not expecting a reply till Monday) is sizing. Going off their size charts, i have an inside leg measurement of 88.5. Going off their ratio for that type of frame (x 0.64) my measurement is 56.64. My Allez is a 56 and feels fine with a 100mm stem. The GF comes in L (55cm) and XL (58cm). My wondering is if i got the 55, plus the 35cm deda post giving me 90cm, would that be ok? Or would there be nothing left in the seat tube? If it was ok, would the overall reach be too cramped? If i got the 58cm, would the reach be too far???

Anyway, thats a question i fired to Ribble, not expecting an answer from here... But any insight is always appreciated.

Cheers folks
  • crescent
    Sizing is always the downside to buying online. I was also between sizes - about 5'10", so right on the line between medium and large. Ribble tend to suggest going for the smaller size when between frames. I know there are more factors than just height, but this is generally the rule of thumb - it is normally easier to set up a smaller frame to fit a rider than a larger one. Personally, I prefer a slightly smaller frame anyway, so I was happy to go with the medium (with 100mm stem). A wise veteran rider in our club once told me, "You'll not have seen a good rider on a bike that looks too big for him" - he's right, I haven't.
    Sounds like a great spec by the way.
  • Rhod81
    Hi everyone.

Just thought i'd post an update.

In the end, i went for the Gran Fondo. being border lines size-wise i opted to go for the smaller size as - after spending literally hours studying the geometries of the GF and my Allez - i determined the GF was 5mm longer, and taller than the Allez despite the Allez being 56cm and the GF being 55cm (Ribbles main measurement is in fact the top tube, not bb to top of seat post).

Anyway, after speaking to Ribble about my size concerns, they advised me to go for the larger size! I was convinced i was correct, but as its obviously quite an investment, i booked a day off work and drove up to the warehouse. I was again told they would recommend the 58cm BUT, due to my riding experience i was actually correct (apparently the riding position of the 55 would be hard going on the lower back and shoulders to someone new to the sport).

Other than that, Ribbles service was excellent, i ordered the bike Monday night and i got the email saying the bike was ready on the Saturday. Unfortunately i had to wait a week to collect :?

Went out for the bikes maiden test ride today.... Wow! The difference from my Allez is immense! Acceleration is instant, flex? There isn't any, its comfy to ride, irons out any bumps and road buzz and it looks the dogs danglies. Did a test 28-miler today around some steep, hilly local roads. Normally i tend to average 17-17.5mph around such a route. Today? 19.2mph. Might be the Allez' compact chainset and the GF's non-compact. Dunno...but it felt very speedy 8)

Thanks for everyones input.
    Very happy biker :D
  • bluedog99
    bluedog99 Posts: 183
    Glad everything turned out OK. Sounds like you did the right thing and going to the store. Enjoy!
    Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.