Tapered and straight....am I missing something?

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi everyone and thanks in advance,

I have 2 bike at the moment and I am looking to replace both forks, one is a Cube analog 2012 and the second Giant Talon 0 650b 2014.

Both have straight forks, however when I look at buying new forks or second hand on popular sites, they are all tapered.

What am I missing, is tapered the new thing? Didn't think straight forks would be hard to buy or rare! Or are they maybe interchangable?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Straight can still be found, you just need to look around more.

Yes tapered is the new thing, unless you have tapered forks and 650B wheels your bike is now considered useless!

Of course if you have a 44mm headtube you can fit tapered anyway with just a change of the lower headset bearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tapered has been around for a good while now - been the 'norm' on most bikes for about 5 years. Does make for deals on straight 1.125" though.

As the Rookie says - if you have an internal headset then it's possible to fit a tapered headset/fork - not a hugely common fitting though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm surprised your bikes aren't tapered given their ages. Are you sure?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Just looked up the Giant and you are right - What a joke. They sell their Trance with those dumb ass overdrive2 steerer forks but sell their hardtail with a headtube that is effectively out of date.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think I'd sooner have straight 1.125" than Overdrive 2!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought the Talon was 44mm which means it can take tapered with a lower headset change, so on that basis better than OD2!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The Rookie wrote:
    I thought the Talon was 44mm which means it can take tapered with a lower headset change, so on that basis better than OD2!

Why's it better than OD2 (that they dropped for 2015)? All that is required is a change of upper headset and stem, so although maybe slightly more expensive, you've not changed head tube angle etc by running an external cup.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant have dropped Overdrive 2
  • Yep they are straight, had the forks on the Giant of last night for a lower leg service, surprisingly they feel better than they ever did even from new.

Under oiled from new or the fork oil was not good I don't know, I just put some 10wt Castrol synthetic fork oil in.

Stuck between sending them to mojo for the FIT CTD cartridge upgrade and having the new 20wt fork oil. Or keeping looking for some straight rebas. Or just fit a tapered fork.

Not following how having a lower external cup will alter the headtube angle (theoretically yes) but noticeable no.

Have read reviews that the upgrade in fork oil and the new FIT CTD damper have stopped people from buying pikes, but think there forks were older. Mine are 2014 variety. Maybe it could be true, by having more control over rebound from only 3 premade settings to having 3 settings each with 3 adjustments.

I don't know. It all used to be simpler. I want my M-Traxx 300 duotech back.