Replacement bearings for Novatec F482SB-SL hubs

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
The bearings on my Novatec F482SB-SL hubs are not feeling as smooth as they once did. I've got nearly two and a half years and a lot of miles out of them, so am not too disappointed. I'm happy to have a go at replacing them, but can anyone recommend a supplier of the correct replacement bearings? Many thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have a read through this thread - in particular my post near the end. You'll find details of the bearing sizes there and also how to tackle the replacement.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13022259&p=19518418&hilit=Novatec#p19518418

One of the best sources of replacements is Simply Bearings:- http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

I'd recommend the double sealed SKF options. My experience was that the original Taiwanese bearings only lasted a few hundred miles. The replacement SKF ones were still going strong when I sold the wheels on after about 2.5 to 3000 miles
  • graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    I changed the bearings on mine this week as the ones in my hub only last 300 miles before they developed some lateral play in them. Make sure you check the drive side bearing side as the one listed as a 28mm in the link is too big. The bearings will have a part number on them so use that as a search basis
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    For the SL you need

24 x 15 x 5 (6802) on the NDS
    26 x 15 x 7 on the DS

The latter is a bit of a stupid size, as there isn't much choice... the standard 482 uses a 28 x 15 x 7, which is much more common... but of course weighs 5 grams more... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    graememacd wrote:
    I changed the bearings on mine this week as the ones in my hub only last 300 miles before they developed some lateral play in them. Make sure you check the drive side bearing side as the one listed as a 28mm in the link is too big. The bearings will have a part number on them so use that as a search basis

Apologies for the mis-direction - didn't realise there was a difference in the DS bearing size for the SL version
  • graememacd
    arlowood wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Apologies for the mis-direction - didn't realise there was a difference in the DS bearing size for the SL version

No worries, I should have checked really. I do however have a spare 28 bearing if you want it!?!
    One thing i did notice was the free hub splines were quite rough and pitted, is this normal after only 300 miles??
  • arlowood
    graememacd wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

No worries, I should have checked really. I do however have a spare 28 bearing if you want it!?!
    One thing i did notice was the free hub splines were quite rough and pitted, is this normal after only 300 miles??

Thanks for the offer but I've moved on to an 11-speed disc build so I recently sold the 10-speed Open Pro wheelset with the F482SB rear hub.

I also got some gouging on the original freehub body and when I was replacing the main hub bearings I suspected that the freehub bearings were on the way out. Consequently I replaced it with one of the ABG ones (anti-bite guard).

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Part ... %20ABG.asp

You need the B1 type if you decide to do the swap. BTW BDOP are great to deal with - good comms and quick delivery.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Many thanks, I'll place an order with simplybearings, and go from there.
  • graememacd
    arlowood wrote:
    graememacd wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    graememacd wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I've moved on to an 11-speed disc build so I recently sold the 10-speed Open Pro wheelset with the F482SB rear hub.

I also got some gouging on the original freehub body and when I was replacing the main hub bearings I suspected that the freehub bearings were on the way out. Consequently I replaced it with one of the ABG ones (anti-bite guard).

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Wheel%20Part ... %20ABG.asp

You need the B1 type if you decide to do the swap. BTW BDOP are great to deal with - good comms and quick delivery.

Cheers for the link. I'll see how it looks at the end of the summer and either replace it with one of those free hubs or rebuild the wheel with a Hope Mono RS hub
  • fmalheiro
    fmalheiro Posts: 1
    Hi!

The bearings that came originally with my Novatec F482SB-SL just died.
    I already ordered the replacement bearings and I was just wondering about a small installation detail.

Should I use grease to install the bearings? Or should it be installed dry?

Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    fmalheiro wrote:
    Hi!

The bearings that came originally with my Novatec F482SB-SL just died.
    I already ordered the replacement bearings and I was just wondering about a small installation detail.

Should I use grease to install the bearings? Or should it be installed dry?

Thanks

Makes no difference
    left the forum March 2023