Hybrid recommendation

Edruddick
Edruddick Posts: 6
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
Hello. I am looking for a Hybrid bike (flat bar) for commuting 25 miles each way. One way has around 45 minutes of climbing and the other has a short but very steep hill.

I have a £1000 c2w voucher for Halfords though I believe they can source any bike. Please could you give me some recommendations. I need a rack and pannier in the £1K.

Thanks all

Comments

• snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Look at the boardman range at halfords fantastic value and very good bikes
  • Thanks Snowster. Had a look and it seems the way to go. Cant decide if I should get the pro or the team. Im thinking the team and a garmin is the best way forward. Can not wait for my C2W voucher now!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Team is definately best bang for the buck - the only thing that would tempt me to the pro if I were in your shoes is the fact that I HATE the silver that the team comes in now, looks really cheap in my opinion. For that reason alone, I would go for the pro...
  • I agree - silver is a horrible horrible colour. I think I will need to learn to live with it
  • Got myself a Hybrid pro must be 3 or 4 years ago and its still going strong for my 6 mile each way commute in all weather......unless its really raining :)

Boardmans seem to have excellent spec for the money!
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    That's a handy commute! Are you set on a flat bar bike? If not I would serously consider a more robust road bike, with drops so you have a variety of hand positions to use. Also, on the down hill bits you can get a lower, more aerodynamic position.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I do my "proper" riding on road bikes, but I commute on a hybrid (used to use my old XC MTB with slicks) and I find the flat bar set up works for me with a backpack (inc laptop). I have the Boardman Hybrid Pro (2014) at the moment - has the 105 gearing and the Deore hydraulics give you great stopping power for those left hook and ped stepping out in front of you moments. Great value for the outlay plus in black it looks the nuts. Been very reliable so far (approaching 2000 miles). I also regularly keep up with/best many a commuter on a road bike.

As above though, with that much climbing you could consider a roadie. My normal commute is 16 miles each way with something like 700ft of climb in total (1000+ if I extend via Epsom Downs at the end) and it's fine for those purposes, but much more than that and you might want something giving you more options in riding position. Either way - enjoy!
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I love my old whyte cambridge for commuting - but the modern versions have very much down-graded the kit that comes with the bike. I picked up an SRAM x9 rd and other flashy SRAM kit on ebay for peanuts so have upgraded the chainset and rear shifter. I agree that it is better for your back when carryin loads, discs allow great stopping when the nodders turn, and it stops you settling into a fast but dangerous view of the stem
  • Thanks all. Its just over 1000ft climbing which is pretty painful. I will have a look at the Boardman CX bikes and road bikes next week hopefully when I get the voucher. Just a little worried a Road bike will not have as low gears or feel quite as safe as the sitting upright feel.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Gearing will probably be very similar on the road bike with a compact chainset. So probably all comes down to your own preferences and riding position. Best best is to try a couple out and see how you go. Happy purchasing.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Avoid Boardman Hybrid at all costs !!! My son's front fork snapped in half under braking recently, he was thrown off but luckily OK, could have been disastrous. Even though bike had hardly been ridden, Halfords refused to cover the cost of repair !!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2015
    Lots of bikes use the same fork with different logos, very unlucky but you can't avoid them all.

As for Halfords, in my opinion they are liable under the sale of goods act as the part wasn't for for purpose when sold based on what you say.

EDIT: I note in your other post on the subject that it appears Halfords paid some of the repair, so this post is an exaggeration if that is the case?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Although it was hardly ridden, how old was the bike? If not that old then certainly I would take it further with Halfords. If you have had it a couple of years then it is hard for Halfords to be sure it has hardly been ridden so I can see their point. that doesnt look like its even a current model, which have been around for a couple of years now. How do they know how the bike has been treated and if it has sustained any kind of impact in that time?

Mine has done around 15,000 miles now and no such problems (till mine snaps tonight now, probably!)... And if this was more than an isolated case then they have sold so widely and so have the CX that use a similar/same fork - we would have seen it all over the web.

If not that old then the least Halfords should have done is send it to Boardman for analysis though...