Garmin 810 "Device not recognised"

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I've just bought a Garmin 810 and I am having trouble getting the computer to connect with it. Ievery time I connect the computer is saying "Device not recognised" and it doesn't even appear in my list of drives i.e. C drive, D drive etc

The Garmin site is useless as the link for the FAQ on the subject doesn;t work. I know it isn't the Garmin itself as I tried a friends 810 and it didn;t work either. My old 200 works fine and another friend's 800 was also fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    First backup anything important....

I'd suggest that you need to uninstall all of the Garmin Express related software, the Garmin USB drivers and then start looking for the "droppings" that they leave behind - these directories at least (there may be more & you may need to reboot to be able to clear/delete them):

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Garmin
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Garmin
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin (If you're using 64-bit)
    C:\Program Files\Garmin (If you're using 32-bit)

There will also be some information retained in the registry - but only go in there if you're confident

Obviously you do all of this at your own risk...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Have you installed garmin express?

Install that and it will install the drivers.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Try a different USB cable - they can be quite picky.
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks guys I will give it a go. I'm using the USB from the 200 so this may be the problem come to think of it. I tried I stalling the plugins and drivers from the site . looks like the deleting bit is the last resort!
  • Paul 8v
    So I managed to get it to work and Garmin express to work. Sometimes you connect it and it works, other times it doesn't. Doesn't make sense really!