Chain issues

ignition2000
ignition2000 Posts: 66
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have an issue which I'm struggling to overcome and get my head round. When the chain is going round its pulling on the derailleur and then jumps a gear. This only happens when in the smallest cog on the cassette. See youtube clip of bike on the stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErKmlIew6Tk

I have changed:

The rear hanger
front chain rings
Chain, with clark snap link in
derailleur

I have even tried releasing the gear cable from the derailleur and ensuring the bottom stop allows the derailleur to line up perfectly with the samllest cog.

Few things to note, I'm yet to change the cassette as its fairly new. By looking at the chain going round its pulling before it even reaches the cassette. I also have a slight kink in the rear wheel which i'm going to sort soon.

Any feedback would be gratefully receive and may just save me scratching my head.

Bike - Trek Remey
Kenesis XC2 custom build

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have a stiff link. You can see it on the cog when the mech moves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ok thanks. its strange as its a brand new chain, with a Clark snap link in. I'll have another look at it and dowse it with loads of purple extreme to see if that helps. :)
    Bike - Trek Remey
    Kenesis XC2 custom build
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I just had one on a brand new XTR hgx chain. It can happen. Lube the stiff part and waggle it free
  • i found the stiff link and removed it, however the chain is still jumping / catching. the chain has been well lubed up....
    Bike - Trek Remey
    Kenesis XC2 custom build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't remove a stiff link, just bend the chain sideways a bit. Or waggle it in Chunkers' words.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools