Bike Insurance

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited April 2015 in Road beginners
At the moment my bike is only covered (or maybe not covered?) by the general house insurance, and I wondered what other options are available and approx costs?

My bike's secondhand and would cost around £1100 to replace secondhand; if it was stolen or if I was unfortunate enough to write it off, I would struggle to replace it so thinking insurance a sensible thing to consider.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Check out CTC and Butterworth insurance..
  • most home insurance does up to £1K so you're fine if it's at home. If it's on the road it's less
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Insurance is always a sensible thing to consider when you have no alternative. Some policies allow you to specify the value of a specific item. If that doesn't work with your current policy, weigh up the costs in cancelling your current and changing to a new provider that would cover it as a specified item under your contents away from the home or insuring it standalone. You might need to ensure that it is covered as a new bike as opposed to its value second hand. It never pays to be under-insured - Law of Averages
  • For the people in the US. On our homeowners / renters I would always always get a rider for the bikes (as in insurance rider of additional coverage). Also, never keep your bike in a garage. If a bike is stolen from a garage (no matter the value) that is "theft". If a bike a stolen from a living area, that is "burglary". Plus, many of us have bikes that are pretty spendy (I have more than one Campy Record/EPS equipped bike).