Cheap hybrid from Halfords

jdobson76
jdobson76 Posts: 7
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
Looking to buy a new bike for the first time in over 10 years. Want a hybrid with EZ-fire gears, around the £300 mark (would not be averse to spending more for something good as I love my cycling but I need to leave it in town and this place is bicycle theft central).

Need one bike which will do the 5-mile, town, everyday trips but also manages some longer trails at weekends. Don't really have the space for 2 separate bikes at the moment so need to make the best of a compromise.

Didn't want to get confused with too much choice, so went to Halfords, where I seem to have homed in on the Carrera Subway, and the Raleigh Loxley (mainly cos it has all the accessories already attached). Also went to a local place where they have Ammaco bikes (apparently cheap and cheerful) around the same price.

Another possible option is a 2nd hand Boardman Hybrid Race which is allegedly hardly used, but other than obvious cosmetic stuff I don't know bikes well enough to say how good a condition it's in. Guy wants £275 for it.

Any thoughts on these particular bikes, or other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just bought a Giant Alight 3 for the Mrs, for £270 is a great bike and with Giant you know you're getting reasonable quality. Have a look at the Giant range e.g. the Escape 3 is £300.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks, will do that, there's a store right near me. Thought they were at the higher end of the market so didn't consider.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check out the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, excellent bike and you can change its personality from anything from a fastish road bike to a rigid mountain bike just be changing the tyres.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 13-2014-20

The alight three (list £299) is rather nasty with a freewheel instead of a cassette (so poorer quality rear wheel) and low level Tourney mechs.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • After looking around a bit more I plumped for the Marasa (£315, 10% off) - thanks for the suggestion - as it has the best gear spec in that price range (Acera).

So far I like my 20-year-old bike better... maybe just cos I've been on that for 10 years. Not comfortable with the saddle or the brakes (not had disc brakes before). Will see how it goes, hopefully will get used to it!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Disc brakes will take a little while to bed in, but should be more powerful than rim brakes fairly soon (once you have done a few big stops on them) and will be much better in the wet.

If you really prefer your old saddle, you should be able to swap it over?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To bed the brakes in, find a moderate hill, get up some speed and do 10 lots of hard braking in succession down to about 10mph each time, they should feel comfortably powerful using just 2 fingers.

Don't get ANY lubricant near the disc, spraying WD40 near them (anywhere on the bike) is a bad idea!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Great, thanks for the tips, will give it a go.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I use my subway disc for winter commuting ( 10 miles each way )/ riding with the family and its a very good bombproof bike for the money .
    I did have a subway with v brakes years ago and sold it as i got into road bikes, i missed it so much i convinced swmbo for n+ 1
    FCN 3/5/9