New to bikes... hardtail or hybrid

CousinBenson
CousinBenson Posts: 15
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I currently use a bike which rides like its about 45 years old and must be worth a couple of quid at the most. I just cycle to the bus stop and back every day (commute), around 10-15 mins each way all on pavement/path.

I use the bike to cycle to town or other places occasionally but not much because of how bad it is. I've decided to get a decent one but knowing nothing about bikes its pretty hard...

I think if I had a decent bike, I'd use it more as its something id like to get into - e.g maybe a bit of off roading, but probably not too serious. My budget is around £500... I've been told that a hybrid would be good for me but I've seen a hardtail I really liked but not sure if its what i'd need? These are 3 I've liked so far...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... er-comp-29

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... sport-disc

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 205/77302/

If anyone could give any advice i'd be much appreciative? E.g what to go for out of them 3 or if there are any better alternatives? (Sorry wasn't sure what section to put this in)

Thanks

Comments

• kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    Personally i think you would find better value elsewhere but thats just my opinion on specialized. Try maybe carrera,vitus bikes maybe?
  • I would lock it up at a bike shelter - I live in Cambridge so theres bikes everywhere, it would be with loads of other bikes and i'd invest in a really good lock? But yes that was one of my main worries.

Oh ok, I'm having a look now. I had been told that Specialized and Giant were two of the best brands to look at though?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cambridge is really bad for bike theft!

Personally I'd look at a decent enough used bike, I wouldn't get an MTB, get a hybrid with rigid forks, see what is available locally (ebay, gumtree etc) and post up here for comment, look for something with 8 speeds at the back as it will mean a better quality wheel and therefor likely the other components.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Cambridge is really bad for bike theft!

Personally I'd look at a decent enough used bike, I wouldn't get an MTB, get a hybrid with rigid forks, see what is available locally (ebay, gumtree etc) and post up here for comment, look for something with 8 speeds at the back as it will mean a better quality wheel and therefor likely the other components.

If I locked it up with a really good quality lock, and in a shelter with loads of other bikes in a busy area it should be alright though shouldn't it?

Ok, I'll have a look around. I can't go second hand though, as i'm buying using the cycle to work scheme. Was the Giant hybrid I posted any good? Are there any brands or hybrids in particular you'd recommend?
  • The Rookie
    What ride to work scheme is it, different ones have different restrictions on which retailers you can use.

A lock and where the bike is locked is no guarantee of safety, or you may come back and find the locked up bits still there and the rest stripped off. If you do go that route you need a good quality D-lock, a cheaper one to stop the frame being twisted against it and a cable through the wheels at least. Personally I'd fix up the cheap one and use as the hack and keep the new one for best, just don't tell the tax man!

The Giant isn't bad for the price, but you can get much better from Decathlon, the Fit 500 is very good bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    What ride to work scheme is it, different ones have different restrictions on which retailers you can use.

A lock and where the bike is locked is no guarantee of safety, or you may come back and find the locked up bits still there and the rest stripped off. If you do go that route you need a good quality D-lock, a cheaper one to stop the frame being twisted against it and a cable through the wheels at least. Personally I'd fix up the cheap one and use as the hack and keep the new one for best, just don't tell the tax man!

The Giant isn't bad for the price, but you can get much better from Decathlon, the Fit 500 is very good bike.

The one is cyclescheme but I'm going to check if I can do cycle2work as well.

Sorry for being a bit slow, the bit in bold confused me abit though, what you mean by fix up the cheap one and use as the hack?
  • The Rookie
    Fix up the one you have now and use it to do the bus stop and back (so little risk), keep your new bike for rides where it being new and better make the difference, although of course 50% of the use of the new bike is meant to be too and from work, otherwise strictly you are guilty of tax avoidance.

cycle2work is Halfords and that would be good, I'd recommend the Voodoo Marasa for a more 'robust' or a Decathlon fit 500 for a faster on road bike (Decathlon operate with cyclescheme).
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I wouldn't get a MTB as you're only riding on the pavement the tyres would be overkill and the suspension would do nothing except add weight.

I hybrid such as the Trek FX series would be about right. With those you can ride on roads obviously, but the 35mm tyres mean you can easily ride the likes of gravel railway paths and tow paths without any trouble.

Just invest in an excellent lock - seriously, whatever is the most expensive one in the shop - that's the one to get.
  • The Rookie
    The Marasa is similar to the Trek FX, but much better value!
  • markhewitt1978
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Marasa is similar to the Trek FX, but much better value!

Yeah the FX are expensive for what you get.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I would still do a bit of off-roading and the roads are awful if that makes any difference...

I love this Voodoo Bizango http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... in-bike-18 Apparantly the best hardtail for 600 and it looks awesome.

I'm so immature in the way that I think hardtail MTB's look so much cooler than a hybrid even though I know a hybrid is the right choice to get. Gaaah so much choice! I'm checking out your suggestions though
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I have a hard tail and a boardman comp hybrid I only use for my commute I have ride both to work and find the hybrid makes the much easier very reliable and fast
  • I would lock it up at a bike shelter - I live in Cambridge so theres bikes everywhere, it would be with loads of other bikes and i'd invest in a really good lock? But yes that was one of my main worries.

When i purchased my Carrera Sulcata for £329 (not a great deal of money i know), the first thing i did was insure it and its accessories upto £400.

The insurance policy stated that I had to purchase a Sold Secure Silver bike lock, which cost me £40.

The insurance policy it selfs costs me £3.89 a month, and covers me if the bike is at home or out and about, even on my bike rack, the lock must be used at all times tho.

Just a thought, maybe you could insure if you was THAT concerned :)
  • markhewitt1978
    I would still do a bit of off-roading and the roads are awful if that makes any difference...

Not really. Everyone everywhere says the roads are awful, so we can assume your roads are normal. You still don't need suspension. As for off road again, gravel paths and the likes are ideal for a hybrid.
  • I'm tempted to go for a proper road bike and start cycling the full way to work, might help me lose a few pounds. And then save up for a hardtail MTB...
  • AaronHaach wrote:
    I would lock it up at a bike shelter - I live in Cambridge so theres bikes everywhere, it would be with loads of other bikes and i'd invest in a really good lock? But yes that was one of my main worries.

When i purchased my Carrera Sulcata for £329 (not a great deal of money i know), the first thing i did was insure it and its accessories upto £400.

The insurance policy stated that I had to purchase a Sold Secure Silver bike lock, which cost me £40.

The insurance policy it selfs costs me £3.89 a month, and covers me if the bike is at home or out and about, even on my bike rack, the lock must be used at all times tho.

Just a thought, maybe you could insure if you was THAT concerned :)

Thanks, I think I will be doing that!
  • markhewitt1978
    I'm tempted to go for a proper road bike and start cycling the full way to work, might help me lose a few pounds. And then save up for a hardtail MTB...

How far is it to work?
  • I'm tempted to go for a proper road bike and start cycling the full way to work, might help me lose a few pounds. And then save up for a hardtail MTB...

How far is it to work?

On bike its about 40 mins I think - 7.7 miles.
  • markhewitt1978
    8 miles is an ideal distance for a commute. Yeah I road bike would be ideal, you could do 8 miles with a hybrid too but a road bike would make it easier.

Certainly no need for a bus :D
  • 8 miles is an ideal distance for a commute. Yeah I road bike would be ideal, you could do 8 miles with a hybrid too but a road bike would make it easier.

Certainly no need for a bus :D

Road bike it is then, now to start again looking for one! Then save up for a Voodoo Bizango, assuming that is the best MTB to go for for 600....
  • markhewitt1978
    Away to the road biking forum with you :lol:
  • The Rookie
    I commute 6.7 miles on a flat barred hybrid, I carry 3Kg in the panniers each way, the ride is normally about 26 minutes, on an MTB it's about 2-3 minutes slower. As the Hybrid weighs in at just 9Kg there is little benefit in that respect of a road bike, so I'd guess it would be at most 1 minute quicker.