Scott Usa Pro Competition Biaxial Stage 1

cralst
cralst Posts: 6
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi I'm new to this site and mountain bikes in general. I'm interested in buying a reasonably cheap beginners second hand bike. I've been looking at the above mentioned bike however I can't find much information about it and I was wondering if someone could give me any information and if it will be a good buy? Thank you.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is old. circa 2000 if not before.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    007iron wrote:
    P1000500.jpg

P1000502.jpg

My 1999/2000 scott comp racing , still running most of the original parts
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cralst
    Thank you for your reply. Your bike looks really nice. Does it matter if it's old? Is it a good bike to begin with, do you have any specifications for it?
  • nicklouse
    cralst wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. Your bike looks really nice. Does it matter if it's old? Is it a good bike to begin with, do you have any specifications for it?
    specs are unlikely to be the same as when sold so have a look at it and see what is on it.
  • cralst
    It's had a new seat, new 9 speed rear cassette, new front cog set, new chain, new grips. Is the basic frame light, what is it made from?
    I've also been looking at an older Trek 3500, I think it's a 2006 model as in the picture. Would this be a good option? What would people's opinions be between the 2?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd have the Scott, but would pay virtually nothing for either.
  • cralst
    Is the Scott a good frame to upgrade, there have been a few good upgrades already? Would £45 be a reasonable price to pay for It?
  • nicklouse
    When new it was fine but after 15 years you take a gamble.
  • cralst
    What is the gamble? Is it that the frame could be damaged in some way, it's aluminium so it can't have rusted.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you want to do with the bike?

For proper off road mounting bike Disc brakes are a significant advantage and can't easily be fitted to the Scott, not sure about the Trek.

Aluminium fatigues with use, so it could be cracking, aluminium does oxidise as well which can create problems as well.

Of the two the Scott is the better bike by a fair margin.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.