Assistance after mechanical

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited April 2015 in Pro race
following on from the pet hate thread

would it not just be simpler to have some (sponsored? -Green flag)) moped/derny that can pace punctured/mechanical (not crashes) riders back up to the back of the peloton?

13736192-18622846-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1339048740364

Comments

• CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    No !
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    You'd need more than one of them to do it properly, often more than one rider will have a mechanical at the same time. Either you end up with a mini-fleet of mopeds in addition to all the other motorised traffic already getting in the way of the riders (eg the Shimano car rampage the other day), or you get some riders being paced back by the "official" mopeds while others continue to use the unofficial cars/magic spanner method rather than wait for the moped to fall back and collect them.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Maybe Cancellara or Hesjedal so as not to bring another vehicle into the mix
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Probably not, but I'd like to volunteer for that job if I can
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Seeing that image, I didn't realise the Bordeaux - Paris was being held again? Can't seem to find much out about it but is it still Derby paced? Looks like it's more of a sportive now?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Seeing that image, I didn't realise the Bordeaux - Paris was being held again? Can't seem to find much out about it but is it still Derby paced? Looks like it's more of a sportive now?
    They're not holding it again as a race. Just a sportive. The photo is probably from a criterium somewhere, they sometimes have derny races in those.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Maybe just some consistency with the enforcement of the "rules" would be best?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    They're not holding it again as a race. Just a sportive. The photo is probably from a criterium somewhere, they sometimes have derny races in those.
    Ah that's a shame. I would like to see some of the pro riders over that sort of distance. 600k long would have to be a highlights program rather than live though!