Rear axle removal for hub service

trickytree1984
trickytree1984 Posts: 71
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Good evening,

I have a set of vision team 30 wheels that I run on my winter bike. I have done just shy of 1100 miles on them this winter and the front bearings sound shot as does the freewheel hub. They are not the cup and cone type bearings i am used to. I have managed to dismantle the front axle no problem but the rear axle is more of an issue. There does not seem to be the worm screws in place holding it in, so I am not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

Comments

• Here is the non drive side

• And the peice that held in the front axle showing worm screw not present on the rear

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    With most hubs of that kind (cartridge bearings) the end caps can be screwed off with an Allan key (5 or 6 mm)
    Look if there is a hexagonal form inside. Be careful with applying force, it may be lefthand threading.
    If the Allen key doesn't work, sometimes the endcaps are held by rubber O rings, you can simple pull them off.
    When the end caps are off you can tap the axle out with a plastic hammer, from the left side, the freehub comes with it.

BTW if the bearings and freehub run smooth I would not bother to take it apart....
  • Thanks, I will try. The free hub does not run smooth but the rear bearings seem ok.