Ultegra Di2 short cage (6870)

page23
page23 Posts: 182
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Dear all,

I bought a bike second hand recently which i'm delighted with but need to change the rear mech from a medium cage (GS) to a short cage (SS). The websites stocking these mechs show a distinct visual difference between the two, as does the Shimano website.

So i ordered one from Wiggle which arrived today marked as the short cage model. However, it looks identical to the one on my bike! Now i'm confused: do i have the short cage on my bike or the medium? Looking at the websites i'm convinced i have the medium cage and Wiggle have simply made a mistake.

If anyone has a picture of the short cage on their bike i'd be massively grateful if you could upload an image or check the website to confirm the appearance of the model? Here is a link to the Shimano page:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... leurs.html

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments

• naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    Short cage is 60mm between jockey wheel centres. Hope that helps.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The Shimano website is really confusing. My 6870 rear mech came in a box labelled at the SS model, but on the Shimano website is shows it as the GS model.

I've never seen any 6870-equipped bike with the 6870 SS version rear mech below, as shown on the Shimano website.

RD-6870-SS_1200x900_v1_m56577569830921080.jpg.swimg.quicksmall.png

However, I'm confused as to why you needed to change from a medium cage to a short cage in the first place? It's not neccessary.
  • page23
    You're right, it's not necessary - it's more for aesthetics. I managed to buy the bike minus cost of rear mech so it's an affordable purchase.
  • page23
    naylor343 wrote:
    Short cage is 60mm between jockey wheel centres. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that's a helpful measure. I take it you have the short cage? Have you checked the appearance of yours against the shimano website?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Mine measures 60mm centre to centre of the jockey wheels and it looks like this mech.

RD-6870-GS_1200x900_v1_m56577569830921079.jpg.swimg.quicksmall.png

Like I said previously, I've never seen the other 6870 rear mech on any Di2-equipped bike.
  • naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_Ulte ... 870GS.html

I have to be honest and say I just measured the cage on mine that I believe to be SS, at least that is what I ordered ! I still have the box somewhere and will also check the mech for an ID no. Either way, whatever I have works fine. I have a suspicion that the confusion may lie with the photos on shimano's site. If you look at the GS model in the link above, that definitely has a long cage, but pays no resemblance to the mech in the link to shimano's site you posted earlier.
  • page23
    Yes, the one in the link clearly has a longer cage but interestingly isn't featured on the Shimano website. I went as far to see what people were selling on eBay second hand and there is one with the longer cage and the others (defined as GS on the Shimano site) are listed as short cage.

Interestingly, the image of the SS rear mech on Shimano's site has a shorter cage than the listed GS model yet the GS model is what appears to be sold as the SS model! Very odd.