New gearing

bmc2611
bmc2611 Posts: 5
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to change my gearing to a Zee rear mech and shifter, but there's a couple of things I'm not sure of.

Would a Zee mech and shifter work with my current Sram PG-1030 cassette? I've read that the ratios between the shifter and cassette wouldn't match.

If needs be I wouldn't mind changing the cassette too, to something like an SLX, but then the question is would a Shimano cassette fit my rear wheel? I've got a 2013 Giant Reign with a Giant S-Series rear hub.

Would it just be a lot easier to stick with Sram and get an X7 mech and shifter???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They both 10sp? Then no problems. Yes Shimano and Sram use the same spline fitting for their cassettes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    if 10spd cassette then as above, and cheap sram parts like x7 are cr@p stick with shimano
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • bmc2611
    Ok I reckon I'll go with Shimano. Next question is whether to go Zee or XT.

I'm also switching to 32t single chainring and will almost certainly have to get a 40t expander at some point. Will the Zee, being short cage, cope with this? Would a medium cage XT be a safer bet?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'll need a mech with a capacity of 29 if going 11-40t
  • bmc2611
    Yeah and according to CRC website the Zee has 28t capacity, which is what worries me. I guess I'm safer with the XT (35t capacity).
  • bmc2611
    XT mech and Zee shifter ordered, along with SLX brakes. All for £130 from Rose Bikes. Not bad I thought.