buying new forks

nhall66
nhall66 Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I've been riding for a reasonably amount of time but have decided that I need to upgrade my forks as the current ones don't provide enough travel. I have a rockrider 5.2 from decathlon (not the greatest but good enough for what I do) however the forks are rubbish. I was thinking of getting some Rockshox XC 32 TK 26" Suspension Mountain Bike Forks, but I don't now if they'd fit. if some one could tell me if they would work and what I would need to look for in other forks to see if they are compatible. the forks on the rockrider are Rockrider Suntour XCT 80mm fork.
if any one can help that would be great.
thanks
n hall

website for the rockrider 5.2:
http://www.btwin.com/en/mtb-mountain-bi ... -2012.html

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Travel isn't the most important thing. Decent damping will be more important. Saying that the XCT is a shockingly bad fork.

What's your budget?

If you can stretch to £130 this would be a far better choice, a good fork, lighter than your current one and far better damped http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2014-SR-S ... 1685814337
  • nhall66
    nhall66 Posts: 3
    thanks for the reply,
    I can't buy off ebay unfortunately, but I'm guessing that I need a 1 1/8" steerer based off this?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Unfortunately the specs for the bike doesn't say, I expect it is a straight steerer, however the only way to tell for certain is by dropping your current forks from the frame and checking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Judging from the pictures it's 99.9999999999999% certain that it's a straight steerer.

I'm also fairly sure the XCT never has and never will come in anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nhall66 wrote:
    I can't buy off ebay unfortunately,
    As that is where the best deals are at, it's worth looking at how you can work around that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.