Bike Racks

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but we've bought a 2014 Nissan Qashqui Acenta, and I'm struggling to find a bike rack that fits, as the car has a rear spoiler. I had found this one http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=5070666, but struggled to find any reviews.

I'm planning on driving to southern France from Newcastle in the summer, so I need to be sure I'm getting something suitable for 2 decent road bikes.

Any help or advice would be helpful, cheers.
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just had a quick click on the link and that doesn't look like it'll work with a spoiler either - again, the top straps need to go over the top of the hatch and that means they'll go over the spoiler.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    bikes in the boot (wheels off) and any luggage that wont fit in with them on a roof rack /in a roof box?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can you not remove the spoiler from the Cashcow for the duration of the trip? They ain't exactly the most aerodynamic of vehicles, and strapping a couple of bikes on the back is going to provide more down-force than a cosmetic spoiler anyway.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Only option I could do was the roof on my Qashqui.
  • y33stu
    @ Lostboy saint - It does say it's compatible on the site, but as you say, that was my concern too.

@t4tomo - I'm travelling for 2 weeks, with a 1 year in old in tow, so the car will be packed with stuff for him. Hence need a bike rack as no space for bike.

@keef66 - that could be an option but not sure how practical that is. It's also the mrs car so I;'m pretty sure she wont want me pratting about taking the car to bits!!

@zx6man - Is yours the 2014 model or older? I can find racks to fit the previous model 07-13 but not 14 onwards. A roof rack is looking likely, albeit that will be much more expensive. :(
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Fit a two bar and then a towbar mounted rack?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    lpretro1 wrote:

This, best all round solution.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Couldn't agree more, i had an Atera Strada 3 with the 4th bike option - it was fantastic.
    Now using Thule 591 on roof bars as we tow a caravan, almost as good but difficult to get bikes on the roof of a tall car.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    As a slight aside, any advice on roof bars for a Qashqai with rails? I've still got 2xThule 591 with T bars, so need one thats compatible. Some roof bars are just so bloody ugly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    As a slight aside, any advice on roof bars for a Qashqai with rails? I've still got 2xThule 591 with T bars, so need one thats compatible. Some roof bars are just so bloody ugly.

You bought a Quishquash and you are worried about putting ugly roof bars on it?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    lpretro1 wrote:

Agreed but compared to £64 for a rack a tow bar solution is very expensive. £200 for tow bar and the same again for the carrier?
  • SARI GRAN FONDO - is suitable for a 2014 onwards Nissan Qashqai according to their website. It holds the bikes vertically by the wheels, leaving the lights & number plate unobscured so no need for a lighting board. Approx £150.

We have just bought a new Qashqai as well but as we already have a tow bar mounted rack, the easiest option was to have a tow bar fitted.

Had we not had the rack already I would have considered the GranFondo and used our 2 roof mounted carriers when we need all 4 bikes ( which is only really for holidays & the odd trip).
  • lostboysaint
    lpretro1 wrote:

Or a tow bar. But regardless of slippage of sausage fingers or auto-correct error he's absolutely right. A tow bar and a decent tilting rack is the way.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    SARI GRAN FONDO - is suitable for a 2014 onwards Nissan Qashqai according to their website. It holds the bikes vertically by the wheels, leaving the lights & number plate unobscured so no need for a lighting board. Approx £150.

We have just bought a new Qashqai as well but as we already have a tow bar mounted rack, the easiest option was to have a tow bar fitted.

Had we not had the rack already I would have considered the GranFondo and used our 2 roof mounted carriers when we need all 4 bikes ( which is only really for holidays & the odd trip).

It is just like any other hatchback/tailgate rack, it has top straps that need to secure to the top of the hatch, therefore going over the spoiler. Of course you can fit it - you could fit any rack the same, but by the time you've loaded the weight of the bikes on and it's all pulling nicely down on the spoiler.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 286
    I have a Focus with a spoiler too.
    I went tow bar and tow bar rack as It was the best solution and I knew I would get a lot of use out of it...
    The rack tilts too which allows easy access to boot..
    Also very quick to load bikes .
    High outlay initally but well worth it if you transport bikes frequently...
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

Thule wing bars, no question.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Over the years I have accumulated just about every type of bike mount available for my wife's cars (Picasso's, Grand Scenics etc) but 90% of the time we use a towbar mounted solution. If we are fitting a roof box and just taking my bike, then I use the roof bar carrier. The rear mount carrier never gets used anymore.

If you don't want a towbar fitted, then I would go with roofbars and bike carrier, rather than trying to fit a rear door/window carrier. More expensive, but roof bars are useful to have as your family grows...
    Roof bars are as cheap as £50 for square ones or £100 for the aero type. We have Thule wingbars which work out even more expensive, but they will last a lifetime and can be swapped between cars, so worth it if you can afford them. Then it is your choice of cycle mount for the bars.

Have a look here
  • y33stu
    Thanks for the help all.

I know full well that a tow bar is the best solution. But I don't think I'll use it other than once a year on this trip to france. So I was hoping to make do with a rack to keep the costs down - albeit a good one for obvious reasons.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    y33stu wrote:

@t4tomo - I'm travelling for 2 weeks, with a 1 year in old in tow, so the car will be packed with stuff for him. Hence need a bike rack as no space for bike.
    :(
    Get a roof box for the "stuff" and put the bikes in the boot. Cheaper than a tow bar rack solution. Leave the 1 year old in the car. If it's just the one nipper you can 60% fold then back seat too for more luggage space.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • It is just like any other hatchback/tailgate rack, it has top straps that need to secure to the top of the hatch, therefore going over the spoiler. Of course you can fit it - you could fit any rack the same, but by the time you've loaded the weight of the bikes on and it's all pulling nicely down on the spoiler.[/quote]

So why is this the only rear mounted rack that ANY manufacturer recommends to fit to the Qashqai ?
    There must be something different about it than all the others, even different models of their own make.As this is the only SARIS model that they recommend.