Float fluid and Rockshox forks?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering if anyone's experimented with Fox Float Fluid in Rockshox forks?

Specifically, I'm wondering if the heavier "weight" might help to keep the lubricant more evenly distributed around the bushings and seals compared with the rather thin 15wt oil Rockshox use?

Also wondering if the anti-friction additives (esp. Molybdenum Disulphide?) might help to reduce breakaway friction.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Fox float fluid is literally a seal lubricant and so on, its not a damping oil.

But saying that I use it to lubricate the seals on my rockshox products and it works fine like any seal lubricant would.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure he was suggesting using it for damping, although he does use the word 'in' which perhaps confused you, I'd use 'on' in this usage but that's semantics.

Given RS forks and shocks generally last better than Forks, it could be argued that the RS specced oil is fine, but I can see no harm at all in using the Float fluid, whether it would be better or not I don't know, a heavier oil can increase stiction.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Fox float fluid is literally a seal lubricant and so on, its not a damping oil.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not sure he was suggesting using it for damping...

Yeah - had no intention of using it in the damping circuits - was thinking of the oil used to soak the foam rings and the 5ml placed in each of the lower legs, which is (as I understand it) purely to lubricate the bushings and seals.
    But saying that I use it to lubricate the seals on my rockshox products and it works fine like any seal lubricant would.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Given RS forks and shocks generally last better than Forks, it could be argued that the RS specced oil is fine, but I can see no harm at all in using the Float fluid, whether it would be better or not I don't know, a heavier oil can increase stiction.

Well if there's no reason not too, I might give it a try and see if there's any appreciable difference in performance.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I would not use it as the bath lube, its not suitable imho.

You are fine using it in say a dual air airspring to provide lubrication but there than that I cannot think of anywhere I would choose to use it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well it's logical, if you want to try it. to use it in the same place(s) Fox use it surely. I use automatic transmission fluid for lube in my forks and it works better than plain fork oil as the thin stanchions are a bit stiction prone at the very top of the travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.