Hope BB problem...

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
OK, so my Hope bottom bracket has been getting a bit loose of late with a bit of play in the cranks. Took the Hope bearings out a couple months ago, cleaned, repacked with grease, improved a lot for a while until now the bearings definately have too much play in them again. Last night, I removed the bearings on both sides, cleaned/greased everything up, fitted brand new Hope bearings and put everything back together. Bit puzzled as there is still a bit of a "rock" when I grab the crank arms and pull/push them - the crank tube looks OK to my untrained eye, and the Hope BB cups look fine and thread in tightly to the frame. Is the crank possibly damaged and I just don't know what to look for? Or have I perhaps failed to seat the new cartridge bearings in to the cups properly?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the cranks are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nasha48
    Shimano M590
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would hazzard a guess you have not seated it through the bearings fully. so not actually preloading them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Give it a bash with a mallet center of the spider to sort it if it's as above.
  • nasha48
    OK, thanks chaps, much appreciated. I'll take another look at it tonight. Lack of pre-load makes sense.